PDA

View Full Version : AArrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!!

emmadines
28-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I don’t get it!!!! I’ve read the "getting started for the EYF's" but after I have read a page I look back at it and cannot remember a word of it!! !:blush: how do I get to grips with this .:panic: :blush:

I have been put to a support childminder but I haven’t heard from her! I really do feel like a fish out of water with this and other then you lot, I feel like I’ve been left to get on with it! I feel very disheartened with regards to the official "support" that I am supposed to be getting :panic: :panic:

Trouble
28-07-2008, 09:12 PM
your not the only one, trust me:panic:

but its what your doing now, for example

when a child paints, they will use certain skills, imagination, fine motor skills, social and emotion skills and you just write what they are next to it,

its a little more than that but read some of the threads on here and youll understand it better

Trouble
28-07-2008, 09:15 PM
look down the page to the topics discussion bit and read all pages and youll get the drift,,

she says:blush:

Chimps Childminding
28-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Don't worry Emma I feel exactly the same. June (next door) keeps assuring me that its easy and its just what we are doing now except we need to note more things down, but it just goes over my head. :panic:

Paperwork has never been my strong point and I am useless at using the right words (I can waffle for England), but I am useless when it comes to explaining things to anyone.

I know the children are happy, I know the parent's are happy, but Ofsted worries me that even though they (Parents) are happy I'm not doing enough to cover what Ofsted want!!!!!!!!!!

Have to admit, I am rapidly going off the job, which is a shame because I love looking after the children, I just hate all the official stuff that goes with it!

emmadines
28-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Don't worry Emma I feel exactly the same. June (next door) keeps assuring me that its easy and its just what we are doing now except we need to note more things down, but it just goes over my head. :panic:

Paperwork has never been my strong point and I am useless at using the right words (I can waffle for England), but I am useless when it comes to explaining things to anyone.

I know the children are happy, I know the parent's are happy, but Ofsted worries me that even though they (Parents) are happy I'm not doing enough to cover what Ofsted want!!!!!!!!!!

Have to admit, I am rapidly going off the job, which is a shame because I love looking after the children, I just hate all the official stuff that goes with it!

Im used to healthcare not childcare to be truthful, ive done careplans and written obs on the whats happened throughtout the day eg, "h" woke up, had a bed wash and ate 2 thirds of her breakfast. "H" complained about "B" snoring in the next room.

ive not done childcare (other then my own children) so to be truthful im not 100% on the development stages (other then my own children) i dont know what they want written down etc.

maybe im doing what i normally do and look waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy to much into this. im a total panic!!!:panic:

MissTinkerbell
29-07-2008, 10:51 AM
If you're not used to childcare then it is a lot to get your head around. I've been teaching Early Years for 12 years both full and part time so am pretty used to observing, planning and assessing but its rather daunting when not having colleagues around to support you.

You will use the Practice Guidance as your main working document in planning what you do with the children each day. This is divided into 6 Areas of Learning. Each area of learning is split into 'development matters' - the actual stages a child will go through leading to the Early Learning Goals at the end of EYFS in Reception.

Then there is 'look,listen and note' - which is generally ideas on what to observe and note down when doing observations.

'Effective practiice' - ways to go about achieving each little step.

And finally 'planning and resources' - gives you ideas of some of the things you can do.

Each area is also divided into age bands and as you will see these age bands overlap because not all children will progress at the same rate.

TBH I think the best way of getting to grips with it is actually sitting down and planning a topic. This should be something that your mindees are interested in. Use any observations that you have done or any info gained from the parents that have.

Once you have decided on a topic eg. Fruit as part of a wider topic on Food think about activities that you want to do with the children:

So for fruit this could be:

tasting food, exploring taste and texture
printing with fruit
making fruit jellies
sorting fruit according to colour
share Handa's Surprise and Ollie's Garden books
make fruit salad
make a fruit shopping list then visit market/supremarket to find these fruits
compare dried fruit with its fresh fruit, etc.

Then look through each of the areas and decide which area and development matter each activity covers:

Making fruit salad can cover

PSE - learn social skills; seek and delight in new experiences; develop a curiosity about things;
CCL - communicate in a variety of ways; use simple statements; understand simple meanings; are able to respond to different things said to them; begin to make marks.
PSRN - develop an awareness of number names; distinguish between quantities; are learning to classify; enjoying filling containers;
KUW - learn by observation about actions and their effects; show an interest in why things happen; realise tools can be used for a purpose;
PD - use tools and materials for particular purposes
CD - respond to what they see, hear, smell, touch and feel.

Activities provided should be 50% adult inititiated and 50% child-initiated. 80% of your observations should come from CI activities and 20% from AI activities.

When you do observations just note down as you did with care plans what you saw and heard; take photos (if you have permission) and then at a later point sit down with the practice guidance and see which development matters have been achieved through this activity.

You should find that once you get going you learn where things are in the guidance and which activities fall into which areas (lots as you can see!!)

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine.

HTH

visit local market/supermarket to find unusal fruits

MissTinkerbell
29-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Forgot to add. Your observations should also include a piece about 'next steps' ie how are you going to develop what has been learnt and what you will do next to extend that learning.

Bushpig
29-07-2008, 11:09 AM
If you're not used to childcare then it is a lot to get your head around. I've been teaching Early Years for 12 years both full and part time so am pretty used to observing, planning and assessing but its rather daunting when not having colleagues around to support you.

You will use the Practice Guidance as your main working document in planning what you do with the children each day. This is divided into 6 Areas of Learning. Each area of learning is split into 'development matters' - the actual stages a child will go through leading to the Early Learning Goals at the end of EYFS in Reception.

Then there is 'look,listen and note' - which is generally ideas on what to observe and note down when doing observations.

'Effective practiice' - ways to go about achieving each little step.

And finally 'planning and resources' - gives you ideas of some of the things you can do.

Each area is also divided into age bands and as you will see these age bands overlap because not all children will progress at the same rate.

TBH I think the best way of getting to grips with it is actually sitting down and planning a topic. This should be something that your mindees are interested in. Use any observations that you have done or any info gained from the parents that have.

Once you have decided on a topic eg. Fruit as part of a wider topic on Food think about activities that you want to do with the children:

So for fruit this could be:

tasting food, exploring taste and texture
printing with fruit
making fruit jellies
sorting fruit according to colour
share Handa's Surprise and Ollie's Garden books
make fruit salad
make a fruit shopping list then visit market/supremarket to find these fruits
compare dried fruit with its fresh fruit, etc.

Then look through each of the areas and decide which area and development matter each activity covers:

Making fruit salad can cover

PSE - learn social skills; seek and delight in new experiences; develop a curiosity about things;
CCL - communicate in a variety of ways; use simple statements; understand simple meanings; are able to respond to different things said to them; begin to make marks.
PSRN - develop an awareness of number names; distinguish between quantities; are learning to classify; enjoying filling containers;
KUW - learn by observation about actions and their effects; show an interest in why things happen; realise tools can be used for a purpose;

Activities provided should be 50% adult inititiated and 50% child-initiated. 80% of your observations should come from CI activities and 20% from AI activities.

When you do observations just note down as you did with care plans what you saw and heard; take photos (if you have permission) and then at a later point sit down with the practice guidance and see which development matters have been achieved through this activity.

You should find that once you get going you learn where things are in the guidance and which activities fall into which areas (lots as you can see!!)

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine.

HTH

visit local market/supermarket to find unusal fruits

Fabulous Mel!!! :)

Rasharoon
29-07-2008, 11:34 AM
I don’t get it!!!! I’ve read the "getting started for the EYF's" but after I have read a page I look back at it and cannot remember a word of it!! !:blush: how do I get to grips with this .:panic: :blush:

I have been put to a support childminder but I haven’t heard from her! I really do feel like a fish out of water with this and other then you lot, I feel like I’ve been left to get on with it! I feel very disheartened with regards to the official "support" that I am supposed to be getting :panic: :panic:

I'm the same as you. I read all what I can from this site but for me, not having any children in the 0-5 bracket leaves me (I believe) at a disadvantage. I've been childminding for nearly a year now and I've not had any enquiries about caring for younger children so wasn't even able to put the B23 into practice.

I'm just hoping a little one will eventually come along so as I can get up and running but till then, I think I'll remain lost and confused.

Good luck.
x

emmadines
29-07-2008, 02:28 PM
oh my! :panic:

so what are all these (in blue?)???

sorry im really being dumb

sarah707
29-07-2008, 03:29 PM
PSED - personal, social and emotional development

CLL - communication language and literacy

PSR&N - problem solving reasoning and numeracy

KUW - knowledge and understanding of the world

PD - physical development

CD - creative development

They are the 6 areas of leanring and development recognised by eyfs.

Everything you plan comes somewhere in these 6 areas.

If you nosey through the back pages of your eyfs book, you'll see how you use them for observations and next steps as well.

Hope this helps :D