PDA

View Full Version : After school ratio

mum67
30-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Hope someone can help me here. I know the issue of ratio is posted a lot on here but need clarification.

In September I will be minding 4 school age children 2 days after school. Siblings and age range: 8,7 twin 4 yr olds. the twins are going into Rec and are not 5 until Nov 2nd. Not got any other mindees yet but have started advertising and don't want to accept work if it puts me over my ratio.

Are the twins classed as rising 5's and am I ok with taking them on? as the twins could be classed as a variation I think. Was thinking of ringing Ofsted to confirm as due my first inspection Sept onwards and don't want to give myself problems before even started properly.

Looking to sign contracts on Friday so before we do I need to be sure its ok with ratios.

I have looked at other posts but can't seem to find one that is similar to my situation.

Thanks in advance.

Chatterbox Childcare
30-07-2014, 04:31 PM
As soon as the twins are going to school full time they are classed as in the rising 5 ratio's and not under 5's. 8 year old doesn't count so as long as these are the only children you currently have then you are fine to take them on

AliceK
30-07-2014, 06:05 PM
If the twins are at school fulltime then you will have 3 children in the 5 - 8 age group as the 8yr old is not in your numbers so you have 3 more spaces available for 0 - 8.

xxx

mum67
30-07-2014, 06:47 PM
If the twins are at school fulltime then you will have 3 children in the 5 - 8 age group as the 8yr old is not in your numbers so you have 3 more spaces available for 0 - 8.

xxx

Yes the twins have been full time since last year at nursery and now moving up to reception class, thank you both for your replies:)

MrsP2C
30-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Be careful as just because they were FT at nursery doesn't mean they will start FT at school. Most schools do a staggered start either half/shorter days for a few weeks or in some places until half term and it's not until they are doing a full school day (ie 9-3:15 or whatever your school hours are) that they are classed as rising 5 for the purposes of your ratios.

If this does happen you could find you only have 1 space for a while until the twins are fully integrated into a proper school day although if you take in another 8+ this won't be an issue.

mum67
30-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Be careful as just because they were FT at nursery doesn't mean they will start FT at school. Most schools do a staggered start either half/shorter days for a few weeks or in some places until half term and it's not until they are doing a full school day (ie 9-3:15 or whatever your school hours are) that they are classed as rising 5 for the purposes of your ratios.

If this does happen you could find you only have 1 space for a while until the twins are fully integrated into a proper school day although if you take in another 8+ this won't be an issue.

Thanks MrsP2C for the advice. They are definately going full time and its not staggered intake as they attended the school nursery and have done settling in a few sessions a week throughout the last half term, the school always works this way so the children get used to their new playground and so they can see how the 'Big children's day' is spent.