PDA

View Full Version : chickenpox again..... sorry

Rickers83
28-07-2014, 06:27 AM
Ok so after all the hoo-ha last week, mum took lo to docs on saturday who advised lo could return today as 5 days was up yesterday.

Lo has arrived today, mum rushed off.
I just checked him over and he still has around 5 spots which are still blisters, not scabs.... Does this mean hes still contagious?

We are going on holiday this weekend & will be annoyed if my 2 get it as we're going Disney so wont be fun for them, also we go to a children's festival in the holidays which starts today & don't want to risk infecting other children & possibly pregnant mums!

What do/ can I do as doctor said hes ok to come?

mrsb79
28-07-2014, 06:37 AM
I would say lo is still infectious if there are still some blisters they are deemed not infectious once all the spots have scabbed over. Where are the remaining blisters ? Are they visible or did you have to search for them ? Personally I would send home as it's not only your children at risk but other mindees and until all the spots have scabbed over you can't really take lo out into the community. Probably not what you want to hear but after reading the NHS site children are usually infectious 2-3 days before the spots appear so your children may already come down with chickenpox. X

Rickers83
28-07-2014, 06:42 AM
Argh so frustrating! :angry:

Annoys me so much, parents just thinking about themselves!;

He has 2 big ones on his head & a couple on his arm, very visible

Mum takes over an hour to get here from work too, once you eventually get hold of her!

hectors house
28-07-2014, 06:43 AM
I would spend the whole day outside - if your own children get it before the weekend it will be because they spent time with this child before he came out with any spots - incubation is 10-21 days - damage is already done! Fingers crossed your own children are fine for the holidays - are you flying or going by Euro tunnel (or are you going to Florida)? As not sure they will let you on a plane if kids have the "pox"!

mrsb79
28-07-2014, 06:54 AM
I would spend the whole day outside - if your own children get it before the weekend it will be because they spent time with this child before he came out with any spots - incubation is 10-21 days - damage is already done! Fingers crossed your own children are fine for the holidays - are you flying or going by Euro tunnel (or are you going to Florida)? As not sure they will let you on a plane if kids have the "pox"!
That's what I thought but I read on the NHS website that their contagious 2-3 day before the spots appear I always thought it was 2-3 weeks. X

Rickers83
28-07-2014, 06:55 AM
We're driving & using Eurotunnel so travel will be ok, just thinking they will be miserable and itchy 😞

Its pouring down here at the moment so outside s not an option, the festival has tents but cant take him there if hes infectious.

Mouse
28-07-2014, 07:13 AM
Do you have letter from the doctor saying lo is ok to come back today? Do you know for definite mum actually took the child and isn't just making it up so she doesn't have to take time off work? You should be going by your rules, not what mum says a doctor says. I'd have thought it quite unusual for a doctor to see a child with chicken pox.

Which day did the child come out in spots? The HPA recommendation is that they are off for 5 days. I would say that is 5 clear days, not that they can come back on the 5th day. My rule is 5 days off or until all the spots have scabbed over. He will still be infectious until all the blisters have scabbed, but if your daughter is going to get it, the chances are she's already been exposed anyway.

Maza
28-07-2014, 07:37 AM
Oh I feel for you with this one. My mindee came down with chicken pox just before we were going on holiday and in my opinion mum sent him back to me too soon. I can only really blame myself for not being more assertive with her. I was praying that DD didn't get it for our holidays. She didn't, thankfully. It does cause a lot of bad feeling. x

smurfette
28-07-2014, 08:06 AM
One of the little ones I mind came down with chicken pox and despite being here two days before she came out with spots none of the other mindees came down with it or my own dds. We were worrying cos one mindee was off to Italy and mum is heavily pregnant but it was all ok.
Fingers crossed for you sorry you are having this worry.

Lots of outside play as previously suggested x

hectors house
28-07-2014, 08:29 AM
That's what I thought but I read on the NHS website that their contagious 2-3 day before the spots appear I always thought it was 2-3 weeks. X

Yes they are more contagious (to give the virus to anyone else) 2 or 3 days before spots appear but it could be brewing in their bodies for 10 - 21 days before the spots appear - many summers ago I had 3 mindees go down with it, all separately with nearly 3 weeks in between.

Rickers83
28-07-2014, 09:54 AM
My children have gone out with their nan today so just poorly lo & his brother here now.

But tomorrow & weds i have another lo here (holiday care) who hadn't had chickenpox.

Waiting for local health visitor to call me as concerned he shouldn't be here when I have other los who haven't yet had it, if they are still contagious as blisters regardless of the 5 days 😞

gwm
28-07-2014, 10:21 AM
My BMA Family Health Guide says 'A person is contagious from about 2 days before the rash first appears until it fully crusts over in about 10-14 days.' I would doubt that a doctor could have examined the child and say it was ok to return to childcare, if there were more uncrusted spots. That doctor could be endangering the health of many individuals in the community with lowered immune systems....not to mention, potentially wrecking your holiday. I know your children could pick it up in the street but this parent has raised their risk. Fingers crossed for you that they haven't picked it up now. Have a lovely holiday. PS. Mummy needs to take her sick child home.

LittleRabbits
28-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Why have the guidelines changed stating children only need 5 days off from when the rash develops? I always thought we had to wait for them to crust over but it's changed now

Rickers83
28-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Have spoken to health visitor. She advised nhs guidelines say spots should begin to scab in 5 days (which is where mum may be getting "confused"), but that they are still contagious until ALL spots have completely scabbed over.

Have told mum ok for today as no other los or my children are here but as if tomorrow will have to exclude until all spots are scabbed.

Shes not very happy, but have to think about everyone..... Will be checking him over when she does bring him back too! Lol :laughing:

FussyElmo
28-07-2014, 12:07 PM
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webc/hpawebfile/hpaweb_c/1194947358374

Hpa guidelines does state 5 days from onset of the rash - mentions nothing about being scabbed over.

Do you follow this guidelines in your childminding if yes then Mum has the right to think he can be still come.

Rickers83
28-07-2014, 12:31 PM
No I follow NHS & doctors advise, as hpa states no exclusion for conjunctivitis, but I am a contact lenses wearer so wont take untill 24hrs of antibiotics as per NHS.