PDA

View Full Version : Wanted : Recommended scooter protection?

FloraDora
26-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Last week I indulged in the John Lewis sale and purchased a 3 wheeled scooter.
I decided to RA it this morning, went onto the Rospa site and of course I now need to buy wrist, arm and knee protection!!
All the ones I see on amazon look like they are for 4-7 though some of the reviews talk about a 3 year old.....has anyone recently purchased these protectors and know they fit a, on the small side, 3 year old??

My bargain buy is not going to come out at that much of a bargain once the necessities are purchased- Next time I will RA in the shop, before I part with money and think I have a bargain!

Mouse
26-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Is the scooter designed for a 3 year old and where will they be riding it? That's what forms my RA.

I have several scooters, the children are all preschoolers and the scooters are designed for their age range. They are only ridden in the garden or on the driveway. The speeds they get up to are minimal and any falls are no worse than if they fall over while running about. For those reasons, they don't wear any protective gear, in the same way as they don't wear a helmet for riding the trikes.

If they were riding out on the street, or at the skate park, then I would reassess.

FloraDora
26-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Is the scooter designed for a 3 year old and where will they be riding it? That's what forms my RA.

I have several scooters, the children are all preschoolers and the scooters are designed for their age range. They are only ridden in the garden or on the driveway. The speeds they get up to are minimal and any falls are no worse than if they fall over while running about. For those reasons, they don't wear any protective gear, in the same way as they don't wear a helmet for riding the trikes.

If they were riding out on the street, or at the skate park, then I would reassess.

We live next door to a nature reserve which we often cycle around so it will probably be used there, hence the need for protection...it is designed for a 3 yearold- its a tri scooter a 'my first' modal in prep for a 2 wheeled.
I am beginning to wish I hadn't bought it, once you start Risk assessing for use out and about.

Mouse
26-07-2014, 09:18 AM
What protection do they use when they're on their bikes? A set of pads would be useful then as well, so at least they'd get more use. I've seen some on Amazon and from Argos for £7.99 that say from age 3+. It doesn't mark the bargain scooter seem such a bargain, but if you could use them on bikes as well, at least you'd feel you were getting your money's worth!