PDA

View Full Version : Low income/shift workers parents forced to use low quality nurseries

Simona
25-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Finally someone has realised the restrictions we face when trying to help these parents...isn't it what we have tried to get the govt to listen to?

Low-income, shift worker parents forced to use low quality nurseries | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1145598/low-income-shift-worker-parents-forced-low-quality-nurseries?utm_content=&utm_campaign=25.07.14%20NW%20Update&utm_source=Nursery%20World&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nurseryworld.co.uk%2Fnur sery-world%2Fnews%2F1145598%2Flow-income-shift-worker-parents-forced-low-quality-nurseries)

AliceK
25-07-2014, 02:36 PM
I've only read this article quickly (cooking tea) but I'm not sure I like it. To me it reads that Childminders are of a lower quality than nurseries. Have I read that right??

xxx

Simona
25-07-2014, 05:24 PM
I've only read this article quickly (cooking tea) but I'm not sure I like it. To me it reads that Childminders are of a lower quality than nurseries. Have I read that right??

xxx

I have posted another article on this subject following the Citizen Advice Bureau survey about 'Ryanair style nurseries charging for extra such as food and nappies'...it is in this section

Most nurseries do not open longer than 8-6pm ...so how can they provide for parents with atypical working hours ...say before 8am or after 6pm
Cms can but we are restricted by numbers and Truss' promise to look at the CMs overlap came to nothing...we can of course provide overnight care and some also offer weekend care and the article fails to mention that

Sadly the survey was for parents and not providers...it is one sided and tends to show how childcare is costly but does not look deep into why.

More Affordable Childcare by Truss is a long way away I think unless funding gets sorted.

rickysmiths
25-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Most of the Nurseries around me open 7.30 to 7pm They will open earlier but charge a fortune to do so because I had a parent leave me last year who chose a Nursery that didn't open until 8am and she needed 7am start. She thought she had saved a fortune leaving me and ended up paying a great deal more :rolleyes:

I will read the article tomorrow. Too tired now.

Mouse
25-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Hmm...I've seen a couple of reports now that suggest the way forward is restricting fees charged by childcare providers. I hope the government doesn't pick up on that. That's one level of interference we could really do without :panic:

Simona
26-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Hmm...I've seen a couple of reports now that suggest the way forward is restricting fees charged by childcare providers. I hope the government doesn't pick up on that. That's one level of interference we could really do without :panic:

I wondered if the govt has already picked up on some of the charges parents are complaining about?
but without asking providers why these are necessary.... in some cases... it will never give us an answer

The article about the Ryanair style nurseries ...posted in this Forum section as well....reports about charging extra for food and nappies but also mentions deposits and registration fee, late pick up charges...some extraordinary if true... and much more such as outings and special activities for which parents at preschool/nurseries have no choice but to pay.... and it includes CMs in this in the case of a registration fee.

It would be great to share any reports where the restriction of fees charges is mentioned or even suggested .

I am sure more will pop up now that the CAB has carried out this survey...strange it has come out at the same time as the Lords are still carrying out their enquiry in the cost of childcare? and Family and Daycare Trust have just published theirs?
Any parent whose child attends a preschool and draws funding for the 15 hours will be well placed to share how they have to ...somehow...pay more than the Free Entitlement

The DfE itself has made it clear that parents who get the free funding for 2 year olds must not be charged a registration fee...this is in their guidance...in a way they have made the first move

For those interested the Lords enquiry wants to hear from anyone who wishes to input in their enquiry on the cost of childcare ...you can find the link in the NW article

Peers told of complexity and under-funding in early years | Nursery World (http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1145470/peers-told-complexity-funding?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

Kiddleywinks
27-07-2014, 06:53 AM
Raise quality and reduce cost seems to be the mantra these days

Jiorjiina
27-07-2014, 10:35 AM
Raise quality and reduce cost without actually putting any more subsidies in