PDA

View Full Version : Free Flow play for Before & After School Children in my care

roecliffe
24-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Hello there, I am new to this forum and site, I'm wondering if any of you may be able to help me with some advice, i've been working as a childminder for over 2 years now have a reputable service for providing wrap around care from my son's school, my numbers coming up this September are full. My issue is as my numbers have increased so will my responsibilities for care of larger numbers of children; on a thursday evening i'll have 7 children (some over 8) (2 are my own). Previously i've been quite relaxed but safe with how i let the children use my facilities, but since my numbers are increased its harder to keep all the children in one space, some like to be out in the garden and some like to be indoors I allow the children to move between the playroom, two lounges and kitchen and garden, i just tend to wander around making sure all children are safe and when they have a snack/meal all together so i can monitor them eating (safety of choking etc.) but what i want to know is how does this affect me insurance wise and does it leave me liable, should anything happen/incident occur? I admit I don't have my eye on all the children at once, is this good practice? The school children range between ages of 4 and 9 and i'm extra cautious and tend to monitor more the youngest, how really should this be done now my numbers are increasing. Do i try and keep all the children in at once and all the children out at once? Is this something i need to address with parents about how they feel about free flow play and safety, as clearly I can't be in two places at once (plus i have to put a meal on in=between and take my toddler to the toilet etc.. .. I'm just worried something might happen and i wouldn't be in immediate vicinity.

With thanks in advance for any comments / advice.

Chatterbox Childcare
25-07-2014, 07:36 AM
You can't be everywhere all of the time - as long as you can see OR hear them you are fine

bunyip
25-07-2014, 07:59 AM
The insurance issue can only be properly addressed by speaking with your insurer.

The issue of constant direct supervision was addressed very recently by Sarah, following an inquest into a death at a nursery. (I must add that Sarah was in no way connected with the case.) The details and response can be found via this link: http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/132133-children-choking.html which you may find well worth the read.

I think supervision and sufficient resources is something we all need to think about very carefully. I know I have enough trouble with 5 children sometimes. Even with Mrs B as acting assistant, there's a limit to what we can do when one child wants a poo and 4 others are instantaneously inspired to want a wee at the same time. :p

AliceK
25-07-2014, 08:50 AM
I very often have 7 children after school ranging from 18mths up to 10 years. I have had all the children for long enough to know them and to know who I can trust and who needs more supervision etc. I certainly don't and wouldn't want to keep them all in one space. I know I can at least hear them all the time and I think we all have a built in radar to some how just know when someone is doing something that perhaps they shouldn't be. I'm sure you are RA the situation and the children.

xxxx

roecliffe
26-07-2014, 08:29 PM
Thank you so much for your replies, it was actually after reading the article that Sarah had sent a link to that made me think, thank you i have had most of my children that i care for well over a year or (some two) but we've recently had two new ones, I think i know my mindees pretty well, I've care full days in the school holidays for all and pretty well know their tendancies. I think i do have a radar to all the children and seem to know what they are all doing and where they all are at one time, however just concerned me that i don't have constant supervision at certain times with all the children and worried about an incident occuring and how liable i'd be, I think i will check on my MM insurance. Its just made me more cautious and wondering whether to revise my services and improve my practice in order to be more safe. (maybe a re-think on food as i can be taken away from areas of the children to put on and serve hot meals, more preparing i think in advance? Can I ask AliceK if you provide hot meals for 7 plus children? ( I just don't want to be turning my back and something happen, that article Sarah sent a link to has really made me think).

Thank you all for your helpful comments really appreciate it!

AliceK
27-07-2014, 09:54 PM
Thank you so much for your replies, it was actually after reading the article that Sarah had sent a link to that made me think, thank you i have had most of my children that i care for well over a year or (some two) but we've recently had two new ones, I think i know my mindees pretty well, I've care full days in the school holidays for all and pretty well know their tendancies. I think i do have a radar to all the children and seem to know what they are all doing and where they all are at one time, however just concerned me that i don't have constant supervision at certain times with all the children and worried about an incident occuring and how liable i'd be, I think i will check on my MM insurance. Its just made me more cautious and wondering whether to revise my services and improve my practice in order to be more safe. (maybe a re-think on food as i can be taken away from areas of the children to put on and serve hot meals, more preparing i think in advance? Can I ask AliceK if you provide hot meals for 7 plus children? ( I just don't want to be turning my back and something happen, that article Sarah sent a link to has really made me think).

Thank you all for your helpful comments really appreciate it!

Hi
It is v common for me to serve hot meals for 6 not usually 7. I try to do all the prep when I am not so busy so eg when some of the LO,s are sleeping, before I do the school run and I make sure the meal is something that doesn't require me to be doing much to it other than serving it up rather than standing over the hob etc. My kitchen is right next to the playroom I can just lean over the gate on the kitchen and see into the playroom, likewise the hall where they also play and I can see into the back garden too if they are out there. We can't possibly see everyone all the time but most of my verbal children, so all except 1 child, are extremely keen to tell me if someone else is doing something that they think they shouldn't be lol.

xx