PDA

View Full Version : put on the spot.... should I have agreed?

Rickers83
24-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Lo has chickenpox so 5 days exclusion

I usually have on Tues, weds, Thurs, but swapped to Monday next week as my dd has hospital

Mum just collected brother & said 'i assume we wont be charged for Monday as his usual day would have been Tuesday & day 6 but you are closed'

I was a little took back and stammered a 'oh yes ok'

Dodgey ground I know but they agreed the swap & its not my fault he has chicken pox.

shortstuff
24-07-2014, 04:48 PM
I think I would have agreed too. :-)

bunyip
24-07-2014, 05:08 PM
I'd have stalled.

I'm not actually stupid, but I do ...........take .............a ................little .............longer..........................:p

smurfette
24-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Hate when that happens! By rights yes she should have paid but I probably would have agreed too on the spot but sometimes maybe it's wise to suck it up in interest of good relations.. Sucks though! X

Chatterbox Childcare
25-07-2014, 07:20 AM
I would of agreed to

AliceK
25-07-2014, 07:26 AM
I think seeing as it was you who asked her to swop days I would have agreed not to charge. Had it been her who had asked to swop days then she would have needed to pay regardless.

xxx

Koala
25-07-2014, 08:59 AM
MMMMMmmmmm I see.

He was due to attend on Monday which was agreed - no matter who instigated - it was agreed, so it's a bit of a cheek not to pay and I think it reasonable for you to be paid, BUT, it isn't 100% one sided benefit for the parent so why should they be reasonable!? :angry:

I would leave it as it is unpaid, suck it up and log this mentally for the next favour they ask. :thumbsup: not worth the fight.

Maza
25-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Oh that's bad luck. In this business 'you win some you lose some' as they say. As someone else said it wasn't a complete gain for the mum and you can remember it for when they next need a favour. We bend over backwards for our mindees and worry about offending the parents and they so easily remind us that it is just a business agreement when it comes down to it. Enjoy your mindee free day. x

bunyip
26-07-2014, 09:25 AM
I can see both sides of this.

Not the CM's fault that the child contracted chicken pox (not really anybody's fault tbf), and the change was agreed, so I can see the logic for still charging for the Monday absence.

OTOH, the mum was doing the CM a favour by agreeing to the change of date in the first place, not the CM doing mum a favour as implied in some of the later posts. So I can see exactly why mum would expect the charge for sickness absence to be waived.

Personally, I'd suck it up in this case and not charge. Partly because charging might upset mum to the degree where it might incentivise her to lie about the onset date of any future exclude-able illness. But mainly it's not a good idea because mum will see this as granting the CM a favour which then (albeit unintentionally) backfires on mum. Be aware that you may need to ask a favour again at some point in time. I doubt whether charging her on this occasion would put her in the right frame of mind to grant any such favours in future. :(

Hope everything goes well for DD at hospital. :group hug:

Mouse
26-07-2014, 09:42 AM
I wouldn't have charged for the Monday in this case. You asked mum to change days, which she agreed to. She could have said no, in which case you'd have lost a day's pay by taking the Thursday off.
As it turns out, you'll still only lose on that one day. You can't really expect mum to cover your losses by paying for a day that she didn't ask for and that she now can't use.

Rickers83
26-07-2014, 10:31 AM
I didn't actually ask to swap, I said I would be closed due to hospital & mum asked me if I could do Monday instead so she could swap days at work & not have to use holiday.

That's why I'm annoyed at not charging.

Mouse
26-07-2014, 10:45 AM
I didn't actually ask to swap, I said I would be closed due to hospital & mum asked me if I could do Monday instead so she could swap days at work & not have to use holiday.

I can see that's different then. In that case, if it was mum who asked, I would charge.

Koala
26-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Well, what a cheek, you do mum a favour and then she screws you. You have every right to be annoyed about not charging but if i'm brutally honest love - you should be annoyed with yourself as she was taking a flyer and you fell for it - she asked/proposed and you said you wouldn't charge. :thumbsup: we all live and learn :thumbsup:

CookieCutter
26-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Could you send her an email explaining that you hadn't had a chance to think about it when she mentioned it earlier, but on reflection, you realized it is chargeable? I know it would take courage to do that, but my worry would be that she'll expect things like this again in future. X

FussyElmo
27-07-2014, 10:02 AM
I probably still wouldn't charge.

Your mum righty asked if you could swap days due to you shutting and her then not having to use holidays to cover it.

I as long as possible believe that goodwill goes a long way (ignoring all the horror stories which are told) a good percentage of the parents will appreciate it :thumbsup: