View Full Version : DBS FOR LODGER?

hectors house
24-07-2014, 09:01 AM
My friend has asked if I can provide lodgings for 3 months for her god daughter while she is on a work placement in our town - do I need to apply for a DBS for her even though she will be out while I am childminding?

My friend used to childmind and run a B & B at the same time, so her guests obviously didn't have a CRB (as it was back then), her husband used to work from home and see to all the B & B breakfasts while my friend was minding - my friend (god mother to the American lady) still runs the B & B so can't afford to have her taking up a B & B room for 3 months, also she lives in a village and the god daughter doesn't drive, so needs to get lodgings in town.

Just don't know how long winded it would be to get a DBS as this lady is American.

24-07-2014, 12:07 PM
I would think yes. Anyone over the age of 16 living on the premises needs a check. I think 3 months would count as living at yours. You could call ofsted and check. Not sure how it would work with her being from the US?

24-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Yes I would say she needs a dbs as well as its long time for her to be staying.

You could email ofsted to get their official opinion but as Lal points out with her being American it will take longer for the dbs to come back.

24-07-2014, 12:31 PM
I emailed Ofsted when my parents came to stay with me for an unknown period of time to see if they needed DBS. They basically said that if they had their own keys and were free to come and go whenever then they would but if they were just staying as my guests with no door key then they wouldn't. I explained to Ofsted that obviously I would be following my safeguarding policies and they would not be left alone with minded children at any time.


Chatterbox Childcare
24-07-2014, 01:32 PM
I had family stay for 3 months in 2011 and I contacted Ofsted who said no as long as they were not left alone with the children at any time