PDA

View Full Version : Double funded nursery hours

jadavi
24-07-2014, 05:43 AM
Has anyone heard of children from low income families on benefits and meeting special criteria getting double funded nursery hours ie 30 a week not 15.
Anyone offered it?

miffy
24-07-2014, 06:05 AM
No, I've never heard of that - has this come from your LA or parent saying they will be entitled?

Miffy xx

k1rstie
24-07-2014, 02:21 PM
I think some families assume that they can get 15 hours from a childminder, and then a separate 15 hours from a nursery/preschool. I have also recently heard 2 childminders state the same thing.

Everyone can get funding at 3, only eligible families can get funding at 2, and it's only 15 hours per child in total

We had a funding meeting last week, and our LA said they would be able to see if a 'child' had claimed twice. We also have a space on our form to state where else a child attends. Not sure thought what would happen if a 'mistake' was made by the parent, and one of the settings had to pay back the LA?

Koala
24-07-2014, 02:50 PM
I've never heard of that one Jadavi, sounds a bit suspect to me but we live and learn, please tell how it has come about. :thumbsup:

bunyip
24-07-2014, 03:24 PM
I think some families assume that they can get 15 hours from a childminder, and then a separate 15 hours from a nursery/preschool. I have also recently heard 2 childminders state the same thing.

Everyone can get funding at 3, only eligible families can get funding at 2, and it's only 15 hours per child in total

We had a funding meeting last week, and our LA said they would be able to see if a 'child' had claimed twice. We also have a space on our form to state where else a child attends. Not sure thought what would happen if a 'mistake' was made by the parent, and one of the settings had to pay back the LA?

I've had a couple of enquiries from parents who also thought they were entitled to 15 hours at each of 2 or more settings. Also had one who thought they'd get 15 hours before and after school for a reception class child until their 5th birthday. It's not surprising, given the vague way in which the 'free care' is spoken about in even official circles.

I've also been tipped off by the county funding team to be very wary of cross-boundary enquiries. I live close to the county boundary and 2 big cities, so I could potentially draw clients from 4 different LAs. Apparently, it's not uncommon for parents to use settings which fall under different LAs and thereby over-claim, and the LAs' systems can take some time to cotton on to what's happening. :(

Mouse
24-07-2014, 04:10 PM
I've also been tipped off by the county funding team to be very wary of cross-boundary enquiries. I live close to the county boundary and 2 big cities, so I could potentially draw clients from 4 different LAs. Apparently, it's not uncommon for parents to use settings which fall under different LAs and thereby over-claim, and the LAs' systems can take some time to cotton on to what's happening. :(

I'm in a similar position. I look after children from 2 different LAs. One child has part of the funding through me & part through a pre-school in the neighbouring LA. They increased their hours at pre-school, which mum fully expected to pay for, but the pre-school told her it would be covered by funding. They knew he had hours through me, but said it was OK as it was a different LA. Mum didn't think it was right as it meant her son was getting 18 hours funding, so she phoned her LA and I phoned mine. Both agreed that she couldn't do it, but that it would have been a while (if ever) before it was picked up.

But then I had another child at pre-school in the same LA as me. I claimed 6 hours funding & the pre-school should have claimed 9, but actually claimed 15. That was picked up on really quickly and the pre-school had to pay back the over payment.

Tazmin68
24-07-2014, 09:06 PM
I have two children who do qualify fir the 30 hours. There is strict criteria to be met. Both will be standing 15 hours at pre school one will then use extra 9 hours a week with me the other will gat another 15 hours with me. The la request that where possible children who are entitled to the 30 hours attend the 30 hours with LA pre school but in both cases the pre schools can only offer the 15 hours and in that instance the children can get the extra hours with a childminder.

1 of mine is classed as a child in need so qualifies. The other has a life limiting illness and is in receipt of dia so again meet the requirements. It only applies to the 3/4 year olds not the 2 year olds.

Tazmin68
25-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Hope you understand the criteria for children to meet to get the 30 hours. Does not apply to 2 years olds just the 3/4 year olds.

Deb

jadavi
11-08-2014, 09:11 AM
I have two children who do qualify fir the 30 hours. There is strict criteria to be met. Both will be standing 15 hours at pre school one will then use extra 9 hours a week with me the other will gat another 15 hours with me. The la request that where possible children who are entitled to the 30 hours attend the 30 hours with LA pre school but in both cases the pre schools can only offer the 15 hours and in that instance the children can get the extra hours with a childminder.

1 of mine is classed as a child in need so qualifies. The other has a life limiting illness and is in receipt of dia so again meet the requirements. It only applies to the 3/4 year olds not the 2 year olds.

Thanks for your help Tazmin x