PDA

View Full Version : Help with juggling numbers please?

hectors house
23-07-2014, 03:42 PM
In September on a Wednesday I will be having 4 children - hoping that continuity of care applies for this as a 4 year old who is starting school, I will be picking her up at lunchtime on her contracted days Monday & Friday but at her school reception children don't go on a Wednesday until half term - so as her Mum has college all day, I have said I can have her.

But have just had an e-mail from a parent who I have done ad-hoc care for in the past wanting 12 - 6 on a Wednesday permanently from September - this would mean I would have 5 children between 12 & 3.15 (when first child leaves), next child goes at 3.30, so by 3.30 would be down to 3 children.

My daughter is registered as my assistant and could work 12 - 2.50 (she starts work nearby at 3pm) - so for 25 mins I would have 5 children - the child who goes at 3.15 is always picked up by grandmother or dad, so I possibly could ask them to come a little earlier, but what if they can't?

After half term I would still have 4 children (when the 4 year old is in full time school), could this then be continuity of care so I don't need my daughter as my assistant? I won't be doing school runs, some children would have a nap and we mostly go out in the mornings.

I would only have one baby under 1, 3 children aged 3, 2, 2, and a 4 year old (rising 5 school starter) Can I do this yes or no?

Mummits
23-07-2014, 07:10 PM
I'm not an expert but I would say you could do the additional Wednesday session for the four year old if she has been with you on Mondays and Fridays regularly for some time, but that offering a further Wednesday place to a child for whom you have only done some "ad hoc" care at some time in the past probably isn't a strong enough claim to continuity of care, as I understand that ad hoc is just as and when, spaces permitting, and that you can't turn an ad hoc contract into a permanent one unless you have a space. I'm sure somebody will be along with more definite advice soon, but that's what I'd assume if it was me in that situation.

hectors house
23-07-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm not an expert but I would say you could do the additional Wednesday session for the four year old if she has been with you on Mondays and Fridays regularly for some time, but that offering a further Wednesday place to a child for whom you have only done some "ad hoc" care at some time in the past probably isn't a strong enough claim to continuity of care, as I understand that ad hoc is just as and when, spaces permitting, and that you can't turn an ad hoc contract into a permanent one unless you have a space. I'm sure somebody will be along with more definite advice soon, but that's what I'd assume if it was me in that situation.

Would only take on the baby on the Wednesdays if my daughter can help as my assistant but wondering at what stage could I call the baby continuity of care to not have to use my daughter, as not worth employing her for just one extra child when older child goes to school. Would have had the baby for 6 Wednesdays by then, plus ad hoc days previously.