PDA

View Full Version : Advice on numbers of children please

Jemma999
22-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me please, I am just in the process of registering with ofsted, just waiting for my pre-inspection visit! Anyway I have been approached by a lady to look after her two children. What I would like advice on is how is will sit with gp numbers allowed? Is there a number I can ring for clarification? Or any advice from you very welcome.

I have two children, when I start minding (hopefully!!) I will have a 3.5 year old and 1 year old. I have been asked to look after a 2.5year old and 10month old brother and sister.

The 3.5 year old goes to pre school and the 2.5 year old goes to nursery. This means that sometimes I will just have the babies but other times there will be overlap where I would have all 4. Those times would be 30 mins before pre school drop off in the morning (2 days a week), and on those same 2 days 2 hours after nursery until pick up. Also during the school holidays for 1 day a week when my daughter doesn't have pre school. I would have no other children during these times.

Do you think this is something ofsted would be happy with? Or do you know where I could find a definitive answer because we were told on our course that ofsted are relaxing about things like this so long as you can demonstrate there is no detrimental affect to any of the children, but I prefer to have a definite yes or no :)

Thank you, hope it makes sense

FussyElmo
22-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum :D

The numbers we are allowed are 6 under 8. Of these 3 may be under 5 and only 1 of these may be under 1. However this does also include your own children.

So once you are registered you will have 1 under 5 space available so you wont have space for the 2 children. You have no nw exceptional circumstances to argue to increasing your numbers Im afraid

moggy
22-07-2014, 12:25 PM
As said already by FussyEmo- you have 2 of your 3 'under-5s' places taken by your own children, whether they are at nursery/preschool etc they STILL count even for just 5mins (until at FULLTIME school in Reception Year+).

So you can take on one little one.

Unless you work with an assistant.

Jemma999
22-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Thank you both for replying, that was my thoughts from reading the eyfs but a couple of other local childminders, who recommended me to this lady thought I would be able to take them because of the relaxing of the rules in September, so just wondered what other's thoughts were.

FussyElmo
22-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Thank you both for replying, that was my thoughts from reading the eyfs but a couple of other local childminders, who recommended me to this lady thought I would be able to take them because of the relaxing of the rules in September, so just wondered what other's thoughts were.

There is no relaxing of the rules never has been. The ratios have always remained the same :D