PDA

View Full Version : oh my dear, how often do you change nappies?????

ziggy
17-07-2014, 08:03 AM
oh dear, some days i do wonder if i know what i'm doing

I have 6month old baby and change her nappy (and others) after every feed and if nappy is soiled or v wet throughout the day

this morning mummy said could i change her more often, so I asked how often she does it, her reply was 'every couple of hours'

now i dont mind as she provides nappies but just wondered is 'every couple of hours' the norm these days?????????

shortstuff
17-07-2014, 08:11 AM
That just sounds like an anxious mum. I dont change straight after a feed either I give it 30 mins or so.

Koala
17-07-2014, 08:14 AM
I change when needed and if I feel like it more often - job done.

But I did once get a comment from a parents because their son had fallen asleep in the car seat on the way home , so they left him to sleep and when he woke up the child and the car seat was wet through!!? And this was somehow my fault!! :panic: :panic: sometimes I despair and just become the nodding dog sometimes, it makes life easier, you can't fight stupid with sense. But if mum wants every 2 hours then that is what I would do :D it's not just the child we care for it's the fragility of their big people too. :thumbsup:

JKL
17-07-2014, 08:30 AM
oh dear, some days i do wonder if i know what i'm doing I have 6month old baby and change her nappy (and others) after every feed and if nappy is soiled or v wet throughout the day this morning mummy said could i change her more often, so I asked how often she does it, her reply was 'every couple of hours' now i dont mind as she provides nappies but just wondered is 'every couple of hours' the norm these days?????????

Definitely sounds like an over anxious parent tbh. Although LO may have been red or had a small rash last night before bed? I know my DS goes through phases, one day he'll need changing every hour and a half to two hours and the next it will only be every three to four. I tend to change more when he's been pink/slightly rashy or has had particularly acidic movements. xx

hectors house
17-07-2014, 08:35 AM
I would ask the parents if they wake the child up every 2 hours during the night to change nappies! I mostly wait until after lunch time to change nappies unless they have soiled it earlier.

Blueeyedminder
17-07-2014, 08:46 AM
I tend to change nappies, after breakfast, after lunch/before nap, after nap/snack and before they go home and of course all the horrible poo's inbetween haha!

ziggy
17-07-2014, 09:02 AM
I tend to change nappies, after breakfast, after lunch/before nap, after nap/snack and before they go home and of course all the horrible poo's inbetween haha!

that's what I do or did lol. Well i changed her after breakfast at 9.15, she is know sleeping in garden so not sure if i'm supposed to wake her at 11.15 to change her when she normally sleeps till 12 or later. maybe i will be difficult and text mummy to ask her lol

rickysmiths
17-07-2014, 11:35 AM
I change after breakfast (approx 8-8.30am) as mine arrive early and will have been in that nappy from prob 5.30am.

I check and change if required before we go out.

I change after lunch before sleeps.

Before Tea before they go home.

Any time in between as required.

I think the only ones I may have changed as often as every 2 hours are when I used to have 6 to 12 week olds come to me.

ziggy
17-07-2014, 12:05 PM
I change after breakfast (approx 8-8.30am) as mine arrive early and will have been in that nappy from prob 5.30am.

I check and change if required before we go out.

I change after lunch before sleeps.

Before Tea before they go home.

Any time in between as required.

I think the only ones I may have changed as often as every 2 hours are when I used to have 6 to 12 week olds come to me.

Sounds sensible, this little one is changed 30mins before she gets to me at 8.15. i would normally (if she's awake) change after feeds which are usually between 3 and 4hrs. And of course if she has a poo.

well so far today i changed her at 9.30, 11.30 then 12.30 (soiled) so shouldnt be in trouble today lol

Mouse
17-07-2014, 12:40 PM
The only times I have changed nappies that often are if they are in cloth nappies.

AliceK
17-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Well assuming a child comes in a clean nappy then I change approx. every 3.5 hrs. If a child arrives at 8am I'll change them about 11.30 before I go on a nursery run and then after their afternoon nap and then again before they go home at 5.30. Obviously if they poo I change them immediately or as soon as I can. A child with me from 8am till 5.30 / 6pm will usually have 3, sometimes 4 nappy changes.

xxxx

clareelizabeth1
17-07-2014, 06:02 PM
When I worked at a nursey this was are written down nappy policy so if child arrived at 8am and stayed till 6 this is what happened.

8.30 changed after breakfast
10.00 changed after snack
12.30 changed after lunch/before nap
2.30-3.30 in time with when they woke they were changed
5.30 changed after tea

Then they also changed if they needed it so as a rule if there all day they were changed at least 5 times.

Now I'm a childminder I do it if the children need it done. I don't change them for the sake of changing them. If they are prone to nappy rash then yes change them more often but you get to know what a child needs. I also never let the nappies get totally full of wee I really hate the saggy nappy look.

hummingbird2014
17-07-2014, 06:12 PM
I change my lo three-four times between 8am - 6pm. When she has been in nursery (don't get me started!) she was only changed twice in the time frame each day. Xx the younger she was the more times I changed her when the line went blue she was changed but I only had her to think of and as a very small lo she wasn't a nightmare to change her unlike now! Xx

Maza
17-07-2014, 07:01 PM
This parent has no conscience when it comes to the environment and land fills then...

Has she had nappy rash which could have prompted mum's questions? Is this the same mum who doesn't want her baby doing on the outings? x

bunyip
18-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Does the mum's "every couple of hours" really mean "every 2 hours" ? :huh:

"Couple" can be defined as 2, but not always so when people say it, no more than "going for a pint" means I'm going to stop at precisely 20 fluid ounces, nor "sleeping with someone" means one spends the time asleep. :rolleyes:

IME, I find I need to change babies:-

1. The moment they arrive. Maybe mum feels she'll leave the overnight/early morning ordure for bunyip: after all, she's paying me to do that kinds thing, isn't she? :mad: Either that or the lo empties her bowels in terror at the prospect of spending the day here. :p

2. About 5 minutes before pick-up. Saves mum from accusing me of returning the child in the same mess she arrived in: but that's different, of course.

3. In between, as and when needed. :thumbsup:

ziggy
18-07-2014, 08:39 AM
This parent has no conscience when it comes to the environment and land fills then...

Has she had nappy rash which could have prompted mum's questions? Is this the same mum who doesn't want her baby doing on the outings? x

no she has never had nappy rash and according to mummy it's because she is changed so often. And yes it is same mummy lol

was just thinking with 3 in nappies, if i changed all of them every 'couple' of hours we wouldnt do very much else:laughing:

ziggy
18-07-2014, 08:40 AM

"Couple" can be defined as 2, but not always so when people say it, no more than "going for a pint" means I'm going to stop at precisely 20 fluid ounces, nor "sleeping with someone" means one spends the time asleep. :rolleyes:

1. The moment they arrive. Maybe mum feels she'll leave the overnight/early morning ordure for bunyip: after all, she's paying me to do that kinds thing, isn't she? :mad: Either that or the lo empties her bowels in terror at the prospect of spending the day here. :p

2. About 5 minutes before pick-up. Saves mum from accusing me of returning the child in the same mess she arrived in: but that's different, of course.

3. In between, as and when needed. :thumbsup:

Yes i get your point, i'm sure she didnt mean exactly every 2 hrs but in my humble opinion, after every feed and when soiled seems ok. I do change more often if they have nappy rash

AliceK
18-07-2014, 11:17 AM

2. About 5 minutes before pick-up. Saves mum from accusing me of returning the child in the same mess she arrived in: but that's different, of course.3. In between, as and when needed. :thumbsup:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a LO who always seems to arrive in saggy nappies. And your point 2, I am so so tempted to do this very often :angry:

xxx

watford wizz
18-07-2014, 11:50 AM
I think some times parents feel very powerless when they leave their babies along with the huge guilt trip us working mums/dads send ourselves on from time to time in varying degrees. It sounds to me like this mum is just exercising a bit of power/control and just needs a bit of reassurance from you that you will care for LOL as she would.