PDA

View Full Version : Blind cords

greanan
17-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Can anyone point me in the right direction of the where I'd find the things that you put on the cords of the blinds to take them out the way of children?

Elkie Mawdsley
17-07-2014, 07:54 AM
I got mine from amazon - they were jusy little two sided pastic hook things which I placed fairly high up and wind all cord around - pre reg lady was happy with that xx

shortstuff
17-07-2014, 08:11 AM
I just trimmed mine so they are out of reach. They were also ok with that :-)

Simona
17-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Can anyone point me in the right direction of the where I'd find the things that you put on the cords of the blinds to take them out the way of children?

Whether you are referring to Roman blinds or venetian blind the safest way is to buy a 'double hook' and you wind the string around it

Not sure about whether you can trim venetian blinds string...I can't do that on mine...but be careful about cutting the string for Roman blinds or you may not be able to lower them

I have made roman blinds for years and double hook is the best...they are available everywhere and very safe

shortstuff
17-07-2014, 09:16 AM
Not sure about whether you can trim venetian blinds string...I can't do that on mine...

Mine are venetians, not sure if it is possible or whether you would like to, but I moved the beads up on the string to a safer length and put a new knot in them. I then cut them and moved the beads back over the knot.

greanan
17-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Yeah it's Venetian blinds I've got an would rather not cut the cord if I can help it. I'll have a look for a double hook then. Thanks

Lal
17-07-2014, 10:40 AM
I've got cleats a bit like this:

Marine Hook Cleat 60mm Pack of 5 | Marine Hooks & Shackles | Screwfix.com (http://www.screwfix.com/p/marine-hook-cleat-60mm-pack-of-5/85713?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area3&_requestid=76969)

Simona
17-07-2014, 10:45 AM
I've got cleats a bit like this:

Marine Hook Cleat 60mm Pack of 5 | Marine Hooks & Shackles | Screwfix.com (http://www.screwfix.com/p/marine-hook-cleat-60mm-pack-of-5/85713?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area3&_requestid=76969)

That's exactly what I meant but called it 'double hook'...sorry wrong terminology as there are single hooks for a different purpose
Cleats can be used for venetian and roman blinds

greanan
17-07-2014, 07:22 PM
I've got cleats a bit like this: Marine Hook Cleat 60mm Pack of 5 | Marine Hooks & Shackles | Screwfix.com (http://www.screwfix.com/p/marine-hook-cleat-60mm-pack-of-5/85713?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area3&_requestid=76969)

Perfect - thank you!! So these just get screwed to the wall and cords wrap round them?

Bundle
17-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Yes - I've just finished doing this in my kitchen and it works fine.

The hard part is going to be training dh to actually use the double hook...

Simona
18-07-2014, 08:24 AM
Yes - I've just finished doing this in my kitchen and it works fine.

The hard part is going to be training dh to actually use the double hook...

There is something you can do to make this task easier...I have come across many people...mostly men.... who find it a fiddly task having to loop the string on the cleat.

Tie knots in your blind cord at intervals according to where you will be raising and lowering the blind so the knot goes into the cleat...it saves handling the cord which will get dirty over time and also easier to wrap around the cleat

Hope it helps :thumbsup: