PDA

View Full Version : how many is too many?

ziggy
16-07-2014, 10:39 AM
I dont wish to offend but just wondered if anyone agrees with me over numbers.

This is first summer that i havent minded schoolies. So just got 3 under 18months old. Only have all 3 one or two days a week. Today i just have 6month old (sleeping now before we go to group)

While singing and playing with baby this morning, it occurred to me that I never had time to just sit and play during previous summers. Feel quite guilty now that children didnt get the best from me before. Having 3 little ones and 3 schoolies the day was just so hectic. We never went to beach, swimming etc as I couldnt fit them all in car. Plus last summer the eldest was 10 and the youngest 6months.

Would be interested to hear from other minders who mind large numbers successfully

amanda1309
16-07-2014, 11:16 AM
All my schoolies have always been term time only, so only ever had 3 little ones in the hols plus own dd.
I would hate to have big ones in holiday as it would stress me out lol

Koala
16-07-2014, 11:39 AM
I find it's not just the amount of children that have an impact for me it's the correct mix of children :thumbsup: Age being a big factor.

mama2three
16-07-2014, 11:48 AM
I agree with Koala. There have been days where Ive had 9 children - between 10m and 10 years. Holiday days are often in the forest - the older girls love helping out with the babe , the bigger boys include the littlies in football or den building or balancing on logs.... These are the same children I have in term time , the mix works well and this just extends to the school holidays.
Other 'mixes' of children have left me frazzled with far fewer of them!

Blueeyedminder
16-07-2014, 12:46 PM
I agree with Koala. There have been days where Ive had 9 children - between 10m and 10 years. Holiday days are often in the forest - the older girls love helping out with the babe , the bigger boys include the littlies in football or den building or balancing on logs.... These are the same children I have in term time , the mix works well and this just extends to the school holidays. Other 'mixes' of children have left me frazzled with far fewer of them!

IMO I could never have more than 3 regardless of age! I've only got one pair of eyes and one pair of hands. Would never feel safe with more.

Koala
16-07-2014, 01:11 PM
IMO I could never have more than 3 regardless of age! I've only got one pair of eyes and one pair of hands. Would never feel safe with more.

I can quite happily care for more than three children - no problem. :thumbsup: Again it all depends on who they are. :thumbsup:

mama2three
16-07-2014, 01:15 PM

Its all in the planning. Know the children. know their mood before you go anywhere! Know the place you're going...quiet spots , where the loos are , ...its all the stuff you do anyway - I would never attempt a new place , a new child etc on a busy busy holiday day. I often join up wth another cm or 2 - more eyes and ears helps!

Mouse
16-07-2014, 01:48 PM

Luckily those of us with bigger families of our own grown an extra pair of arms and eyes in the back of our heads :laughing:

Blueeyedminder
16-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Its all in the planning. Know the children. know their mood before you go anywhere! Know the place you're going...quiet spots , where the loos are , ...its all the stuff you do anyway - I would never attempt a new place , a new child etc on a busy busy holiday day. I often join up wth another cm or 2 - more eyes and ears helps!

That's what I do, meet up in teams!

*daisychain*
16-07-2014, 02:01 PM
I work with my hubby so I'm lucky. At one point we did have 13 children and they all got on brilliantly , it was like a military operation at snack and school time but they all knew the rules and it worked out well.
It's lovely to see the friendships between them develop and bounce ideas of each other.
We do have our own 6 children between us ( three are classes as adults now!) so we are used to a big family. The more the merrier i say as long as they get on, we are never bored or clock watching :-)

AliceK
16-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Luckily those of us with bigger families of our own grown an extra pair of arms and eyes in the back of our heads :laughing:

Oh yes, the magic eyes in back of our heads :laughing: I also have a natural radar ability to know what is going on / being said even though I am not in the room. My DS is 10 and still can't actually understand how it is that mum ALWAYS knows what's going on when trouble is brewing.

xxx

natlou82
16-07-2014, 05:17 PM
My personal preference at the moment is no more than 2 under 3 but happy to max numbers with the older ones! Like people have said its personal preference, the older ones have made great friendships and they are good fun to have around and I like being kept on my toes! I actually find it harder when I've only got 1 or 2 lol!

bunyip
16-07-2014, 06:07 PM
You ought to ask one of the local CMs near me. She regularly takes 9 children home from school. The other day, a mum made the predictable comment of, "you've got your hands full, love" (a massive 1 out of 10 for originality :yawning:, but probably true in this case) to which the CM cheerily bragged that she had 2 more at home with her husband - interesting, as he isn't an assistant or CM, but an accountant working from home. She's been known to take on even more on strike days :eek:. The ages look borderline, but it's impossible to tell whether she is over her ratio for Ey or U8's, but I still think a small house is no place to care for a football team's worth of children. :mad:

covgalxxx
16-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Well as only aloud 4 children in total thanks to wirral council , think that will be enough as well as my 2 children 1 is 19 months and one is 10, so be nice to have children the same age as them, so they always got someone to play with, we shall see be having my 1st child in sept, but do find my 10 year old needs more entertaining than most...

Glitter
16-07-2014, 06:26 PM
I love looking after large groups of school children. I find it easier with more children as they can nearly always find someone to play with, and there is less chance of them becoming bored.

I think the most I would want would be about 10 children.

LittleRabbits
16-07-2014, 06:50 PM
How does it work with children over 8yrs? Can u have any amount?

Koala
16-07-2014, 07:06 PM

:D Schools do!? :D

And they don't have regular access to drinking water (they say they do) or personal towels for hand washing, from my experience your lucky if you find any soap never mind bog roll :D sorry guys a bit off topic but having listened to my kids come home from school and moan about conditions I just had to let rip :panic:

LittleRabbits
16-07-2014, 07:38 PM
It's awful isnt it!

bunyip
17-07-2014, 07:15 AM

There is no on-paper figure stated in a regulatory sense. The rule is that caring for the over-8's must not be detrimental to the standard of care provided to the little-ies. LAs and/or insurers may impose further limits, so it's always worth checking to see how the situation affects you as an individual. :thumbsup:

ziggy
17-07-2014, 09:17 AM
in northern ireland we can only have 3 little ones and 3 schoolies, which to be honest is too many for me. I only have small house and the garden is adequate for little ones but not big enough for older children.

Plus I could only get 6 around my table for meals/snacks so wouldnt want 10!!!!!!!

mum67
25-07-2014, 12:23 AM
I have always been in my comfort zone when I have lots of children around me, that's why I love what I do but have to agree with others it all depends on what you're happy with and the safety aspect of things. I enjoy a mixture of age groups as the older one's tend to occupy themselves and each other whilst also taking the time to play with the little ones as it makes them feel grown up and supportive towards me as well as being a buddy to the lo's.

Many a time I have heard that phrase "she's got her work cut out there" when I've been out and about at parks, cinemas etc with 9 children, 2 of my own 11 and 12 and the others, 2,3, twin 4 yr olds, two 6 yr old and a 7 yr old (not mindees by the way, relatives of mine) Not sure if they think they are all mine at times but they are always well behaved and listen to me and the older children who help so I'm fine with it but if they were mischievious and never listened I would go to less places with them all at the same time.

Stay within your comfort zone and you'll enjoy your day more and if you feel like taking them all on days out together one day start by going somewhere nearby first and see how it works before you venture to far from home only for it to become a nightmare. It really does have a lot to do with the behaviour of the children and whether they are good listeners or not.

Also don't forget to keep within your ratio, it's sounds from one post on here that somebody is putting greed before safety.

Good Luck if you do try it one day.

natlou82
25-07-2014, 05:37 AM
Ooh I wonder if it sounded like me going over ratio!?! When I said max with older ones I meant to my ratio. I only have 1 over 8 at the moment and that's my own son so my max is actually 7 children and that isn't every day. I stand by what I said thought yesterday was quite hard going and I only had a baby and my own daughter aged 4! Much easier when I did have 7 the day before lol!

mum67
25-07-2014, 05:23 PM
natlou82 please don't think I was suggesting you broke any rules, I only mentioned ratio's as reminder to Ofsted protocol and not to imply that you are doing anything wrong..sorry if it seemed that way.:o

natlou82
25-07-2014, 05:41 PM
No panic I just don't want to give the wrong impression, I only started minding in April and obsessed with doing everything properly!! I certainly won't be going over ratios :-) x