PDA

View Full Version : Observations

billierae2010
14-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Hi everyone me again!!!

can I ask how many observations do you and how often and what age of the child would you go up to on observations I do a daily diary for the 8 month old I've got but not for the 5 year old TIA Helen

alex__17
14-07-2014, 06:56 PM
I usually do 1 or 2 short obs per week per child, eg last week a 3year old looked at the word ant and said a n t ant so I wrote it straight in file and link to eyfs later when kids have gone home.
Sometimes I do none but usually do one a week at least as they're continually doing new things. All my children are once or twice a week so I feel like I see changes each week.
I keep lj out so I can make note quickly or take a pic on phone to print and remind me later.
Only do all this until they start school

Simona
14-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Hi everyone me again!!!

can I ask how many observations do you and how often and what age of the child would you go up to on observations I do a daily diary for the 8 month old I've got but not for the 5 year old TIA Helen

No need to observe children when they are in full time education unless there is an area that needs tackling...this can be discussed berbally with parents but not required in writing although no one can stop you if you want to do so.

Not sure about others but I observe all the time, listen and watch...that means several observations every day in every learning area
I use the ones relating to their next steps to jot down and add in their planning and to move them on

hectors house
14-07-2014, 08:31 PM
I do far too many and struggle to keep up - but everyday they do something different or maybe it's just because all of mine are part time that it just seems like they do or learn something different. I wish I had full timers would make so much easier.

Have had 4 mindees today and they have all taken part in about 6 different activities and I have written obs on each activity - from reading books on being kind & helpful, digging up potatoes - counting and arranging in size order and doing a tally chart to record the counting, playing in the garden, spotting lots of insects and making a bug box out of loose parts pieces of wood, spotting a frog in the garden, doing Maths work books and a computer phonics game, pattern printing with shaped sponges, dancing and playing party games (musical statues & bumps), potty training! I do most of them as a general observation on Tapestry on-line journals and then add photos and individual comments to personalise them.

I have 2 mindees who are off to school in September and one of them is finishing with me next week so trying to cram everything in with him as he only comes one day a week - my husband says it's not my sole responsibility to ensure he is prepared for school after all he is at nursery 2 days and with parents for 4 days - but I have looked after him since a baby and I do feel responsible.

billierae2010
15-07-2014, 07:56 AM
Thanks everyone I have been jotting down little bits that the 8 months old has been doing so I'll think I'll just keep doing that and put it in his journal x

Chatterbox Childcare
15-07-2014, 08:34 AM
I do two large obs a year. Apart from that I do planning from everything I have observed on a daily/weekly basis. Post it notes/wow sheets/parent feedback etc..

Simona
16-07-2014, 06:45 AM
In this area too cms vary on interpretations on how many observations we should do or are required

Some mention one or two...while others do ongoing formative assessment at all times

The best guide would be the EYFS and in the 2014 version it is clearly stated on page 13 (2.3)...having said that ongoing assessment is not new to the EYFS...it has been in place for a very long time, in all childcare models and embedded in all books...new and old

Observing children in one activity and one area always leads to observations in all areas because they are linked.