PDA

View Full Version : Pat check?

jadavi
14-07-2014, 03:59 PM
I have to submit the date of my last 'pat'check for a health and safety check the apprentice scheme is doing (prior to them starting with me)
Apparently it's a check that involves seeing if the electrical devices at home are safe . Has anyone done this or have any idea how to get it done?

AliceK
14-07-2014, 04:02 PM
I know what a PAT test is but have never had to have one done. Is it a requirement just because you have an apprentice coming to work with you then?

Maybe a local electrician will be best but not sure how much they would charge??

xxxx

bunyip
14-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Just search online and you should soon find a local company who will do PAT. It stands for "portable appliance testing". It is not a legal requirement as such. HSE require workplaces to maintain all electrical appliances in good order, but do not specify how this should be achieved. PAT is therefore probably an additional requirement of the apprenticeship scheme in this case.

You can probably expect to pay somewhere in the region of £50 as a flat fee, including call-out and including checks on up to the first 20 appliances. Not sure how much variation in cost there is regionally, or if you shop around.

Tealady
14-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Speak to the college. You may find you have a standard form and they use it for all apprenticeships. When O enrolled at college and they did my H&S form they just put a line through it as it's a home.

jadavi
14-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Thanks. I'll ask the tutor/ superviser.

jadavi
16-07-2014, 06:41 PM
They expect me to do it ... I have left a message with a local company :(

rickysmiths
17-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Gosh really. That is a big expense for you to have an Apprentice. I have never heard of a cm needing it and I have known several who have Apprentices.

I think I would want a second opinion on the matter.

jadavi
20-07-2014, 09:47 PM
Thanks

The assessor now says its not a legal requirement but I have to prove how I know my electrical items are safe.......how the blummin eck do I do that!!
Any ideas?

rickysmiths
20-07-2014, 11:23 PM
You do a Risk Assessment which notes the age of the appliance and I would guess things like Kettle, microwave, toaster, i pad, computer, fans used in hot weather, cd players etc that the apprentice might use or have contact with. Note the condition of the appliance ie is it in good condition and chips or dents, are the cable and wires and plugs all in good condition? How often do you check these things and what action you would take if you found a fault? How often would you plan to replace each appliance.

I would do a spread sheet listing the appliances and do a space for each thing you are checking.

Don't forget to put you settings address and your name on each sheet and sign and date it. Then when the apprentice starts it could be one of the documents you note down that you have made them aware exists.

Just some thoughts others may have some more.

tulip0803
21-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Agree with Rickysmiths put it in writing - note that you also have a circuit breaker (flip switch cut off) on elec circuits that will turn elec off (most people have these in their houses).

This is from the Health and Safety Executive website Myth: All office equipment must be tested annually (http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/july.htm) PAT (Portable appliance testing) - HSE's answers to popular questions (http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-portable-appliance-testing.htm)

rickysmiths
21-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Yes I forgot that we have circuit breakers in our Consumer Unit and they are very sensitive, so much so that if one of our spotlight bulbs blows the lighting circuit cuts off. It also happened when we first had our new oven.