PDA

View Full Version : Premature babies

KateA
12-07-2014, 08:01 PM
hi i was just wondering if anyone has cared for a premature baby and what to expect he would is six months old but technically three as was born three months early just wondering what to expect. x

Simona
12-07-2014, 08:54 PM
hi i was just wondering if anyone has cared for a premature baby and what to expect he would is six months old but technically three as was born three months early just wondering what to expect. x

Have a good info sharing with the parents and liaise with the HV if you can who will give supportive advice on development
This will help a little

Your Premature Baby's Development (http://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/your-premature-babys-development.aspx#)

shortstuff
13-07-2014, 12:12 AM
Mine was 10 weeks prem.

You expect advancement in all but their eating/ drinking to be at the corrected age up till the age of 2. By 2 some magic is supposed to have occurred allowing them to have caught up.

Their eating / drinking is guaged from actual birth age as their little tummys are given milk straight away.

rickysmiths
13-07-2014, 12:49 PM
I took on a three month prem last month who has health issues and has spent a long time in hospital so mum has found it difficult to get into a routine.

First of all she has shared all his medical information along with what I have to watch out for and what to do if I think anything is wrong.

He is eating fine and nearly up to what I would expect from a nearly one year old. He eats finger foods, is just going onto cows milk and is ahead of som just under one year olds I have cared for. He is putting on weight and has now gone above the 50th Centile so HV and GP are really happy. Where is is behind is physical development. He can't roll over on his own yet and has only sat up unaided in the last 2 weeks, a big milestone! He has been having weekly physio and I have had to do concentrated tummy time with him to help develop his core muscles plus I do lots of standing on my knees so he can push and get used to being upright.

It is hard work because he is now 9kg and not as moblie as most his age, I have two who are now 18mths and they were both walking at 1 so this one is quite heavy to be carrying around. He has settled like a dream though and his smiles just melt everyone who sees him. I feel very privileged to be trusted to care for him I think it will be a very hard day they day he leaves but I hope he and maybe his siblings will be here for many years to come, they are such a lovely family.