PDA

View Full Version : That's it - I admit defeat - the carpet has to go.

crazybones
28-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Last summer I put a carpet down in the lounge over the laminate. Hubby didnt want it but I'm in charge :cool: Anyway its a total mess 12 months later - nothing can clean it - believe me I have tried and I have just had William (first couple of days potty training) attempt to pull his undies down too late after a poop and.... well you can imagine. Not pleasant. Room is now out of bounds and stinks of disinfectant. I will have to have it pulled out and go back to the laminate. :(

Donkey
28-07-2008, 11:03 AM
sorry annie!!!

I can imagine, not nice...

I have laminate everywhere in my house apart from the stairs, not very friendly on the knees, I know, but good to keep clean

Mollymop
28-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I sympathise as my carpet it dreadful. I dunno how many years it was down before we moved in. I really want a new carpet, but I don't think carpet is a good idea with kids running around everywhere.

Bushpig
28-07-2008, 11:12 AM
My old place had laminate and would have been loads easier with the kids, I am sure. My potty training boy has made a couple of mistakes and it's difficult... always have vanish at the ready! :eek: :eek:

Minstrel
28-07-2008, 11:44 AM
We moved into our house just over a year ago and was in laws house before (its where fiance grew up too) anyway carpets had been down about 15 years!!! smelt and looked awful. funny how you dont really notice till its your house!!!

couldnt afford laminate at the time for all downstairs £1000+ so we pulled carpets up anyway and found lovely floorboards. spent ages sanding and varnishing them and now its lovely and kiddie friendly.

miffy
28-07-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd quite like to have laminate - think it would be easier to keep clean :)

You could always compromise and buy a big rug too :)

Miffy xx

Monkey1
28-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Hope hubby doesn't do the told you so dance!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JQS1m65WUCI

Blaze
28-07-2008, 11:55 AM
I know how you feel...my darling 3 year old has just got metanium (sp) cream all over! :eek: :rolleyes:

crazybones
28-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Hope hubby doesn't do the told you so dance!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JQS1m65WUCI

Ha ha - he probably will

And Metanium cream - yuk that is really thick to get off the carpet.

LOOPYLISA
28-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Oak wood flooring............................:clapping:
Best thing weve ever bought, easy to clean, sweep, wash, :clapping:
Wasnt cheap though, don.t think ill ever go back to a carpet in the lounge x:D

Trouble
28-07-2008, 01:19 PM
quck step flooring

burn proof
chemical proof,
scratch proof (99%)
easy to wash

no stains and doesnt fade

mine has been down 5 years still looks like new but expensive but sooooooo worth it

angeldelight
28-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I havent had carpet down for years and it was the best thing I ever did to be honest you cant beat it with the kids

Angel xx

sarah707
28-07-2008, 03:12 PM
I still have odd bits of carpet, but most of mine is laminate.

I love it! :D

Chimps Childminding
28-07-2008, 05:44 PM
I've got laminate in the room I use for minding. Just bought a rug from the local market 7' x 5' for £25 - don't mind if i have to replace it often at that price!!!!!!!! would love carpet put it just isn't practical with lo's about all day!

mrsb
28-07-2008, 05:45 PM
quck step flooring

burn proof
chemical proof,
scratch proof (99%)
easy to wash

no stains and doesnt fade

mine has been down 5 years still looks like new but expensive but sooooooo worth it

we got ours fom quickstep too :) It';s fab, i had to gently pursuade hubby that we needed it as he was against it, now he seems to think it was his idea:rolleyes: :laughing:

crazybones
28-07-2008, 05:46 PM
I am pleased the carpet fitters left the laminate down when they put the carpet in - have told hubby he needs to throw out the carpet and he did this :rolleyes:

Trouble
28-07-2008, 05:51 PM
we got ours fom quickstep too :) It';s fab, i had to gently pursuade hubby that we needed it as he was against it, now he seems to think it was his idea:rolleyes: :laughing:

what colour is yours mine is oak with goove lines down but bits collect in their does yours??

mrsb
28-07-2008, 05:54 PM
what colour is yours mine is oak with goove lines down but bits collect in their does yours??

Ours is oak as well but it has "fake" groove lines so we don't get bits in ours :)

Trouble
28-07-2008, 06:03 PM
Ours is oak as well but it has "fake" groove lines so we don't get bits in ours :)

i wish ours didnt now

anyone wishing to buy quick step flooring dont buy the one with grooves in collects bits:panic:

Pudding Girl
28-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Don't forget you can claim the costs of a steam clean once a year! carpets as well as sofas

Wendy Woo
28-07-2008, 06:12 PM
i have got laminate in the lounge and ceramic in the kitchen

i love them both but the cream carpet in the hall was a big balls up!!!!!

i am the same annie nothin will get it clean!!!

im just not sure wot to put down next darker carpet or laminate??????

littletreasures
28-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I have got parquet flooring all downstairs (original). We have had it resanded and sealed recently. J has been potty training so have managed to clean up after him with no problem and also having 2 dogs it is a godsend as I can just mop up muddy paws rather than it spoiling carpet.

LisaH
28-07-2008, 07:11 PM
we have laminate flooring too upstairs and down. The only carpeting is on the stairs and thats really grubby!!! Would never go back to carpet even if i stopped minding.:)

louise
28-07-2008, 07:15 PM
We have laminate in our room kitchen and living room. Its great no hoover! A god send when potty training, also with a puppy. Only problem in down stairs needs redoing soon. Chips from toys being thrown and kitchen one has gone where the washing machine had a slow leak. Only problem is the people who done it went and had cuboards built in on top!! thanks.

Lou