PDA

View Full Version : Odd question regarding numbers

natlou82
11-07-2014, 09:59 AM
In September my DD turns 5, I would like to organise a party on her bday whilst the other mindees are here. I will be full on that day but would really like my niece to celebrate with us (I do look after her on other days) which would take me to 7 under 8s! If my husband is present would I be ok to do this under the stipulation that she is there as my niece and being looked after by my husband?

rickysmiths
11-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Could her mum not come with her?

Mouse
11-07-2014, 10:10 AM
I would say that was OK. If she came along with her own parent she wouldn't count in your numbers, so it's no different really if she is there with your husband.

natlou82
11-07-2014, 11:18 AM
She is looked after by my MIL on that particular day of week and tbh she would wait till it quietens down before she comes down, didn't really want my niece to miss out as she ll know what I'm doing :-(

blue bear
12-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Common sense says if your husband decides to look after his niece and bring her round on a day you are working to capacity that's up to him.
Ofsted turns up and she looks at your register and see niece name on there what will she believe?
Is it worth the risk?
Such a shame because you are only thinking of the child,best let mil bring her down when she is ready.

So if party starts at two mil will bring her at 3, have you thought of being creative with the start time you tell mil?

natlou82
12-07-2014, 11:16 AM
At least I have time to figure this out, as it's not till September lol. It's great to be full, but it is annoying, my niece will be 8 in January and then this sort of thing is no problem!

sarah707
12-07-2014, 06:55 PM
I think you have to be careful having more than 6 under 8 on the premises at a time - even with other adults - if ofsted do come to visit it is important that you are not over numbers x

natlou82
12-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Ok thanks Sarah, it's so frustrating, we are a very close family and they are more like siblings than cousins. My daughter and niece will both be so upset if my niece can't join the party till after 6pm and as it will be a school night it won't go on much longer after that! Tbh I think I ll just have use a holiday day and then we can just have family, which is a shame as it also would have been fun for the other mindees :-(

Lal
13-07-2014, 07:03 AM
If your husband is there won't he be caring for your daughter? Or will you have 7 and your daughter?

Simona
13-07-2014, 07:47 AM
I thought as CMs we were allowed to have guests in some circumstances ...in this case as in many others it shows how we ALL interpret the EYFS and this point in particular in a different way...it can be very confusing

Would Ofsted turn up unannounced? hope not as that practice is not allowed...
if on a scheduled inspection you would have had notice....
Natiou82...have you thought of contacting Ofsted, explain what you are doing and see what they say

Keep us posted if you do that

natlou82
13-07-2014, 08:08 AM
I wouldn't be responsible for my niece as my husband would be or maybe even my MIL as someone suggested. I think I will contact Ofsted as I am full after school most days and this situation could arise again eg:- a friend visits with her child (does she have to leave as soon as I pick the school children up?)

natlou82
13-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Oh yes lal of course my husband will also be there for my daughter too, that's why it's frustrating me so much! I don't really want to mess parents about by having a holiday either! I ll contact Ofsted and hopefully I ll get some more clarity.

FussyElmo
13-07-2014, 08:15 AM
Cant you just finish work at 4 and then just have the mindees be guests at the party then it wouldn't matter if you had 7 or 10.

Sign them all out at 4 then start your birthday party. Think how much easier/less stressful if you clocked off from working. Your dh and mil could step up to help as well :)

I would inform all parents that on that day you finish being their childminder at 4 and that you become the birthday girls mum and then invite them all to the party niece included. Then you have no stress about being over numbers I would probably even tell the parents if they wanted to join in the fun they would be welcome :thumbsup:

natlou82
13-07-2014, 08:51 AM
Thank you so much Fussy, this is perfect :-) I'm sure my parents will be happy with that, and if not they can pick up early win, win :-)

Chatterbox Childcare
13-07-2014, 06:56 PM
If you have 6 and your husband is there with your neice then to me that is fine x