PDA

View Full Version : Help re enquiry please

zanacal
09-07-2014, 12:55 PM
I have a parent who wants to send her now 6 month old to me in September. She initially asked for every other Monday 1pm - 6pm and I expressed concern that it would be difficult to get baby to settle only seeing me one afternoon every two weeks and she agreed and said she would like to sign up for every Monday instead. We haven't yet signed contracts, though we've arranged a time to do so, and now I've had an email from her saying that from January until Easter she wants her baby to come Monday one week and Tuesday the next week and then to go back to Mondays only after Easter. This hurts my head a little .... but initially I thought it might be ok because if I already had 3 under 5s I could swap her day every other week on a temporary basis (so long as other parents agree and I risk assess etc.) under continuity of care but if I'm not full then she would, in effect, be taking up two days' spaces for 5 hours work a week.

I like this family and I think we'd work well together but I don't want to sell myself short just to win her over for the sake of a few hours a week - can anybody advise please?

loocyloo
09-07-2014, 01:11 PM
I have a parent who wants to send her now 6 month old to me in September. She initially asked for every other Monday 1pm - 6pm and I expressed concern that it would be difficult to get baby to settle only seeing me one afternoon every two weeks and she agreed and said she would like to sign up for every Monday instead. We haven't yet signed contracts, though we've arranged a time to do so, and now I've had an email from her saying that from January until Easter she wants her baby to come Monday one week and Tuesday the next week and then to go back to Mondays only after Easter. This hurts my head a little .... but initially I thought it might be ok because if I already had 3 under 5s I could swap her day every other week on a temporary basis (so long as other parents agree and I risk assess etc.) under continuity of care but if I'm not full then she would, in effect, be taking up two days' spaces for 5 hours work a week.

I like this family and I think we'd work well together but I don't want to sell myself short just to win her over for the sake of a few hours a week - can anybody advise please?

I'm confused just reading what mum wants!
I would say to mum that you can offer her the Monday afternoon session each week from September ( as you need to see babe on a regular basis to help babe to settle, plus it would give mum time to do things such has having her hair cut/shopping etc! ( that's how I sell it to parents! ), and then say, IF you have availability then you MAY be able to do a Tuesday on a temporay/occasional basis. I would still be asking Mum to pay for the Monday each week and its up to you if you want to swap the day or charge extra for using a 'non-contracted' day. personally I don't generally do swapping days - any extra/different days needed are charged for.

good luck x

zanacal
09-07-2014, 01:14 PM
I know, mind boggling! I have her sold on coming every week for continuity. She also added a line to the end of her email re speaking with the local nursery if I can't meet her requirements which annoyed me a little as she seems really keen otherwise. Your suggestion sounds simplest so I think I'll say something along those lines - thank you!

loocyloo
09-07-2014, 01:46 PM
I know, mind boggling! I have her sold on coming every week for continuity. She also added a line to the end of her email re speaking with the local nursery if I can't meet her requirements which annoyed me a little as she seems really keen otherwise. Your suggestion sounds simplest so I think I'll say something along those lines - thank you!

you are welcome.

I can't imagine a nursery allowing her to do alternate weeks! she is just trying to call your bluff in the hope that you'll offer her a good deal! decide what you want to do and stick with it! don't be tempted otherwise!

I've got a mum who has just given notice for half day her child comes ... if other days were available then she would keep at the 1 full and 1 half days child does ... but child already attends one of the available days, the other day she told me was not suitable and now I've filled that space ( and ended up having a 4th child due to continuity of care! as another mum then needed it ) and the 4th day I COULD offer, I want to keep to the 3 I already have! ( plus I have 2 other mums who both might need it occasionally under continuity of care! ) she too has mentioned talking to local preschool ... but I already know she doesn't like it, so have accepted her notice for the half day!

zanacal
09-07-2014, 07:20 PM
I did it :) Haven't heard back yet but what will be will be, thanks again for the sound advice! I hope to have that many children to keep tabs on in the not too distant future!

loocyloo
09-07-2014, 09:08 PM
I did it :) Haven't heard back yet but what will be will be, thanks again for the sound advice! I hope to have that many children to keep tabs on in the not too distant future!

thanks ... took a while to get there, and then I knew I had 4 starting school this September, and was panicking a bit, but children have come out of the woodwork and filled my gaps and LOL, the half day ( which was in fact a whole day space, as I never looked to fill the afternoon slot ) has just been taken by a mum at school who asked this afternoon if I had any spaces! luckily I had already given first mum a letter accepting/confirming notice for that session ! and now, when she changes her mind she will have lost it! ( as it sounded like she might change her mind next term! ... have a suspicion it was because she didn't want to pay over the holidays as she is away lots! ) :D