PDA

View Full Version : Child wants to keep nits- advice please!

Glitter
07-07-2014, 07:39 PM
A nine year old child I mind after school has nits. Her mum was combing them out last night when the girl asked what happened to the nits once they are off her head. The mum said the nits die. The child became very distressed as she did not think it was fair for the nits to die. The mum had to stop removing them and the girl is now refusing to let the nits be 'murdered'.

This child has been a vegetarian (even though none of her family are) for two years as she found out animals are killed so we can eat them. She also becomes very upset if she sees an animal that has been killed (like a rabbit on the road).

Her mum is desperate to get rid of the nits, but she does not want to upset her daughter any more. She asked me for advice this afternoon and I am completely stuck!

Does anyone have any advice about what the mother can do? Thanks.

FussyElmo
07-07-2014, 07:49 PM
A nine year old child I mind after school has nits. Her mum was combing them out last night when the girl asked what happened to the nits once they are off her head. The mum said the nits die. The child became very distressed as she did not think it was fair for the nits to die. The mum had to stop removing them and the girl is now refusing to let the nits be 'murdered'.

This child has been a vegetarian (even though none of her family are) for two years as she found out animals are killed so we can eat them. She also becomes very upset if she sees an animal that has been killed (like a rabbit on the road).

Her mum is desperate to get rid of the nits, but she does not want to upset her daughter any more. She asked me for advice this afternoon and I am completely stuck!

Maybe the truth that it is essentially a parasite that feeds from her blood scalp and serves no purpose like other animals bees for example.
Explain if mum doesn't remove the nits and that if they caused her damage that mum could be prosecuted for neglect.
The child is 9 the truth will be the best option would she let an animal suffer because of fleas.

clareelizabeth1
08-07-2014, 05:51 AM
I would go with the advice above if not just get a pot say you have found a place that looks after them make the pot all homely for them. Then bin them once she is in bed or gone to school.

Simona
08-07-2014, 06:23 AM

Hi Glitter...I wonder if this child will be less distressed if she were to read about nits herself and understand they are not 'animals' but the empty eggshell the lice hatch from?
Let us know if this works for her

Head Lice and Nits | Health | Patient.co.uk (http://www.patient.co.uk/health/head-lice-and-nits)

Glitter
08-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will tell her mum everything you have suggested.

Don't know what I would do without all of you to help!:)

ziggy
08-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Being a vegetarian i'm a bit like that myself over moths, spiders, flies etc. It actually made me laugh.

If mummy uses conditioner and nit comb method then no 'murder' is being committed:laughing:

Ripeberry
08-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Who is the adult? Nits are insects, not cuddly bunnies. Sounds like she needs to know the facts of life a bit earlier.

JCrakers
08-07-2014, 07:18 PM
I needed a good chuckle after a hard day.....some parents!!!

Nits are to adults and bleedin fleas are to cats....I'd never leave my cat scratching, poor thing.
The parent needs to get rid of the nits....full stop. And explain that they cannot be kept.

bunyip
08-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Better stop her washing her hands. Fancy killing all those poor bacteria. Just wait for the next bacteria to come along and kill her. :p

By the same token, bunnies aren't "cuddly" - they're "tasty". :rolleyes:

Glitter
08-07-2014, 08:31 PM
***Nit Update***

The nits are now gone!

Apparently while sat at the dinning table with the family the older brother (aged 16) decided he had had enough.
He leaned forward, looked the girl in the eye and said "You know those nits are having sex on your head right now!"

Two minutes later the mum was combing the nits out!

Sometimes all it takes is a grumpy teenager to fix everything.

k1rstie
08-07-2014, 08:36 PM
***Nit Update*** The nits are now gone! Apparently while sat at the dinning table with the family the older brother (aged 16) decided he had had enough. He leaned forward, looked the girl in the eye and said "You know those nits are having sex on your head right now!" Two minutes later the mum was combing the nits out! Sometimes all it takes is a grumpy teenager to fix everything.

Brilliant!!!! You could have suggested that they go and live in a hair all stuck down the plug hole!

littlebears1009
08-07-2014, 08:36 PM
***Nit Update***

The nits are now gone!

Apparently while sat at the dinning table with the family the older brother (aged 16) decided he had had enough.
He leaned forward, looked the girl in the eye and said "You know those nits are having sex on your head right now!"

Two minutes later the mum was combing the nits out!

Sometimes all it takes is a grumpy teenager to fix everything.

Haha! Love it!

loocyloo
08-07-2014, 08:38 PM
:-) brilliant :-)

clareelizabeth1
08-07-2014, 08:47 PM
I am going to remember that line for any children that may want to keep their nits. Arnt big brothers wonderful.

jackie 7
08-07-2014, 10:35 PM
that is the best. big brithers can be useful

sing-low
09-07-2014, 06:31 AM
Ha ha,,priceless! Good for him.

Simona
09-07-2014, 06:33 AM
It would be interesting to know how this child will react the next time she has nits?...
it is bound to happen at some point in her life but...I wonder if she has actually solved her own problems/fears about nits if she does not realise nits are not insects.... they are dead eggs laid by the lice that were originally crawling in her hair but no one noticed?

maybe that is the point when her big brother's advice would have come in useful as the blighters would have been having a party..... with dire consequences!!

Kiddleywinks
09-07-2014, 06:34 AM
:clapping::clapping:

That has to be the funniest thing I've heard all week - Way to go Big Brother :laughing:

mama2three
09-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Simona - im fairly sure its the lice that the child and op are referring to - not the empty cases. Lots of people use the term nits to cover both the insects and the cases.
I remember at school having our air checked by nitty nora the nit nurse...but then Im really showing my age !!

Simona
10-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Simona - im fairly sure its the lice that the child and op are referring to - not the empty cases. Lots of people use the term nits to cover both the insects and the cases.
I remember at school having our air checked by nitty nora the nit nurse...but then Im really showing my age !!

The thread is about 'nits' not lice...they are very different....my view of course...having seen both as I am sure many have...the former crawl and move ...the latter are white and stick to the hair
I know people use nits to cover both the crawling creatures ...lice...and the eggs they leave behind...nits...hence the confusion but I personally like to use the exact description as does any literature we can find on the internet, I also believe the treatment is different