PDA

View Full Version : reception age children and the new EYFS

cupcakencookie
07-07-2014, 12:35 PM
I'm sorry if this has already been asked but have I understood correctly that from Sept 2014 we no longer need to do any observations or learning journeys for reception age children? Many thanks!

blue bear
07-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Page seven at the bottom states that providers that exclusively provide after school or holiday care being excluded can't find anywhere it states childminders don't have to do obs etc.

cupcakencookie
07-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks very much for the reply. I went on a training course recently and something was mentioned there but it had been a long day and I didn't take it in properly :blush:. I've been asked to have a 4 year old child for an hour 2 mornings a week before school starting Sept (when child starts in reception) and was hoping I could just do a daily diary and photos. Just didn't fancy more paperwork for £7 a week lol!

Simona
08-07-2014, 06:29 AM
Thanks very much for the reply. I went on a training course recently and something was mentioned there but it had been a long day and I didn't take it in properly :blush:. I've been asked to have a 4 year old child for an hour 2 mornings a week before school starting Sept (when child starts in reception) and was hoping I could just do a daily diary and photos. Just didn't fancy more paperwork for £7 a week lol!

Look at EYFS 2014 page 24 (section 3.40) and there it is clear that for pre and after school care you do not have to comply with the Learning and Development requirements...that includes CMs

cupcakencookie
08-07-2014, 01:39 PM
Look at EYFS 2014 page 24 (section 3.40) and there it is clear that for pre and after school care you do not have to comply with the Learning and Development requirements...that includes CMs

Thank you Simona! That's what I thought but it's so nice to have someone more experienced confirm it. I seem to spend my life in perpetual terror that I'm not doing something I should be doing so that's one less worry for me! It's a pity it didn't come in last year as I have 2 reception age children who I've been doing paperwork for to comply with Ofsted despite the parents telling me there was no need from their point of view!

Simona
08-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Thank you Simona! That's what I thought but it's so nice to have someone more experienced confirm it. I seem to spend my life in perpetual terror that I'm not doing something I should be doing so that's one less worry for me! It's a pity it didn't come in last year as I have 2 reception age children who I've been doing paperwork for to comply with Ofsted despite the parents telling me there was no need from their point of view!

Good...I am glad it has helped...less paperwork is welcome by all and repetition really unnecessary.
You can do simple journals with just photos so the children have good memories of your setting and the parents too.

blue bear
08-07-2014, 06:09 PM
3.40 states where the provision is solely before/after school care or holiday provision.

It doesn't mention childminders that offer under fives as well as school wrap around care.

moggy
08-07-2014, 06:26 PM
3.40 states where the provision is solely before/after school care or holiday provision.

It doesn't mention childminders that offer under fives as well as school wrap around care.

It means provision for that child in question. It does not matter that you have other little ones in your setting.

Simona
08-07-2014, 06:36 PM

Yes it does and it specifies it is for Reception children or older ones..if a child attends a CM before school and then returns to the CM that becomes before and after school care

It also says providers should discuss with parents/carers/ teachers the support they intend to offer...that means we can compliment the learning but...in my view. no need to do the full L&D

I will check it and come back but that is how most people interpret it

sarah707
08-07-2014, 07:09 PM
The revised Eyfs 2014 wording is confusing and unclear on this one. It does not give us the clear information we currently have in the Eyfs 2012 and I am very worried it will be down to the interpretation of individual inspectors :(

Simona
08-07-2014, 09:26 PM
The revised Eyfs 2014 wording is confusing and unclear on this one. It does not give us the clear information we currently have in the Eyfs 2012 and I am very worried it will be down to the interpretation of individual inspectors :(

In the current EYFS a child in reception receives education at school ...we therefore compliment the learning by sharing info but we are not required to do LJs
We do those ONLY when we share the 15 hrs with another setting...am I right?

In EYFS 2014 it will be the same and it is clear on Reception children because they are in full time education...so why would an inspector interpret it her own way?

The EYFS 2014 section 3.40 on page 24 is particularly about the requirement for qualifications...they are not required and the ratio can be 1:30.... if it is just a provision solely for before/after and school holiday care

I can't believe the EYFS is asking one thing of providers and something different of CMs....all I can think of is that we need to challenge this one too

Let's get this clarified before we have another major worry on interpretation and endless questions and discussions as we do for increasing our under 5s :angry:

jolliesdean
08-07-2014, 09:40 PM
I have just been visited by link worker from LA and she clarified that we do not need to Lj/obs. I have scrap books which show all activities or special moments and that is fine. Why would we need to do them when we don't supply the main learning, care throughout the week. X

mama2three
09-07-2014, 07:32 AM
Sorry Jolliesdean , but where the guidelines are unclear , like in this case , your 'linkworker' has only offered her interpretation - unfortunately theres nothing to say she will have the same interpretation as an ofsted inspector. Most of us agree with what your advisor has said , but until the wording becomes clearer we are still at risk from inspections where the inspector thinks otherwise.

jolliesdean
09-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Totally agree but it will not be made clear until next review, even then I doubt it will be clear,there will always be something that is not clear in eyfs. Think back over years we always question something. What I'm saying is if you have a scrapbook with things in and you can confidently and professionally explain your practice for the hour before school and hour after school then they can not down grade you. I would be more worried if there was loads obs for such a short time in our care. We all can say and justify breakfast and snack times as essential times for nutrition rather than panicking about obs and Lj. And before anyone says you can get loads out of this time yeah but not forever x

Simona
09-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Can anyone point to where in the current EYFS 2012 it asks for LJs for a reception child in full time education?...sharing info and complimenting the learning yes...that is part of working with other professionals but not doing LJs

So I doubt the EYFS 2014 needs clarifying because the DfE is trying to reduce paperwork not increase it...my view of course
I remember very clearly Truss saying LJs are not required...I will try to find the link to the NWorld article and post it

I believe the paragraph on the new EYFs is fairly clear about what is needed for reception children and all of them will be full time within weeks of starting

Are we creating an additional worry that is really not required? and why should we worry about an inspector's individual interpretation? challenge is the answer.

Anyone worried can contact the DfE directly and get that clarified as they write the EYFS and inspectors have a duty to follow it not invent new requirements.

rickysmiths
09-07-2014, 09:59 PM
It does not specifically mention Learning Journals for any age group in EYFS because we don't have to do them. We only choose to do them so we can share information about the childs development with their parents and so we have something to show Ofsted.

I know childminders who don't do the at all for any children in their care.

I have a lad going into Reception in Sept. I will be doing a scrap book which I hope he will contribute to as well. It will show things he does when he is with me and there will be notes on what school tells me he is doing at school and what he tells me. I will use the Pacey EYFS stickers to indicate areas of learning being met and if there is a Wow moment it will be noted and maybe how it could be followed up. That is all I will do.

Simona
10-07-2014, 07:36 AM
It does not specifically mention Learning Journals for any age group in EYFS because we don't have to do them. We only choose to do them so we can share information about the childs development with their parents and so we have something to show Ofsted.

I know childminders who don't do the at all for any children in their care.

I have a lad going into Reception in Sept. I will be doing a scrap book which I hope he will contribute to as well. It will show things he does when he is with me and there will be notes on what school tells me he is doing at school and what he tells me. I will use the Pacey EYFS stickers to indicate areas of learning being met and if there is a Wow moment it will be noted and maybe how it could be followed up. That is all I will do.

Agree Rickysmiths...we do LJs for children in the EYFS to show Ofsted but above all to share with parents and celebrate children's achievements...the latter being the most valuable outcome of this exercise

This thread is about Reception children...no way we need to do LJs to please any inspector...either now or from 2014