PDA

View Full Version : lego bricks

tori4
04-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Hi very clever people

I'm looking for your professional thoughts.

At what age would u aspect a child to be able to fit together Dupo Lego pieces?

Also got some concern for eating skills and mounting stairs too? but more so the Lego pieces..

I notice it a few months back and continue to support but no improvement.. it the whole thing, no physical strength to do it and the logic to understand how to.

look forward to your thoughts ?

QualityCare
04-07-2014, 05:56 PM
I would say for the average child who has had lots of opportunities to play with duplo then around 2yrs of age to confidently put then together, walking up and down the stairs it again depends on how often the child has been given the freedom to try it out most children given lots of experience will start to crawl up the stairs at around 12 mths as for walking up and down most 2 year olds will walk confidently up and down one stair at a time, again feeding them selves depends on early experiences of practice. Every thing a child does is based on early experiences and if they have missed them they need to go through them, they cannot just start at the expected level,if this child has been with you from a baby and has had every opportunity to learn skills and is not then may be further investigation with HV or Dr is needed if they have just started give them time patience and opportunity to practice.

Mrs Scrubbit
04-07-2014, 06:28 PM
I would say for the average child who has had lots of opportunities to play with duplo then around 2yrs of age to confidently put then together, walking up and down the stairs it again depends on how often the child has been given the freedom to try it out most children given lots of experience will start to crawl up the stairs at around 12 mths as for walking up and down most 2 year olds will walk confidently up and down one stair at a time, again feeding them selves depends on early experiences of practice. Every thing a child does is based on early experiences and if they have missed them they need to go through them, they cannot just start at the expected level,if this child has been with you from a baby and has had every opportunity to learn skills and is not then may be further investigation with HV or Dr is needed if they have just started give them time patience and opportunity to practice.

My thoughts exactly......nothing to add xx

hectors house
04-07-2014, 09:23 PM
How long have you looked after this child and how much time do they spend with you? It may be that they aren't allowed to climb the stairs at home, one of my mindees has a very dangerous spiral type staircase (not child friendly at all), so he doesn't get to practise at home, so I have had to teach him to climb up and slide down stairs on tummy at my house - otherwise he just stands at the top and waits to be carried.

Duplo bricks are quite hard, would mega blocks be easier to start with? Also with regards to eating, maybe parents don't let or make child feed themselves at home - could be that they don't want a mess or haven't got the time.

I once heard of a childminder who saw a child take her first steps, but said nothing to the mother expecting mother to return after weekend saying that child could take a few steps now, it took nearly 2 weeks before mother noticed as child was either in a pushchair, car seat, highchair or supermarket trolley when with mother, child's feet hardly ever on the floor!

tori4
06-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Thank peeps for your thoughts - I should of given more info of time frame.

Child has been with my for nearly 2 yrs 3-4 days a week started nursery on other days in sept 2013.

Child has same access to lego as other children within my setting ( who can confidently fix pieces together and for a while)

I briefly asked mum if they had such toys at home and was told yes - but obv no idea how accessible they are.

But guessing similar type resources are available at nursery too.

Ref walking n eating - parents are v relaxed n child is able to move around home VERY freely and eat Independently I know this as mum also has concern abt immature eating skills - it's v much a case of stuff it all in ASAP !

Generally a v able child just sometimes u notice things that dnot seem to of clicked even over time ?!?

Will make sure mega blocks are available this week and other connecting toys

Thanks again for your thoughtsxT

gwm
11-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Have you completed the Two Year Old Progress Check yet? Have you spoken to the nursery? Does the mum have any concerns? Were any raised with the health visitor? It would be interesting to see how the child behaves in the nursery environment and how his Key worker is logging his progress.