PDA

View Full Version : Late fees...urgh

JCrakers
04-07-2014, 08:19 AM
After payment hasn't been made again by a particular parent (due on 1st) I'm now putting a late fee into future contracts as I'm getting tired of having to ask for my money. It's so draining and making a bitter relationship as every month without fail I have to ask for it. She must think I do this for fun or a hobby :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be like this, I'm sure her boss pays her every month :mad:
The amount owed is just over £50 so not a huge amount and without sounding patronising to families who don't have a lot of cash.....the families I work with all have a lot of it so making payments shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, the question is I've just given parent a new contract as her sons hours are changing but I gave her this a few weeks ago. It didn't have the late fees in it so do I:

Give her a new contract or
Just write a letter stating that late fees of £5 per day are being put into force from September and get her to sign it?

shortstuff
04-07-2014, 08:47 AM
I think I would send a letter to all families stating from x date late fees of x per day will apply from 2nd of the month

tess1981
04-07-2014, 08:54 AM
Just do up a new late fee policy with a letter to parents saying from 1st Aug late fee of £X per day will be added to all bills whig do not reach my account by X date

AliceK
04-07-2014, 08:55 AM
My contracts do state that I will charge 10% per day of outstanding monies but I didn't used to charge it however after repeatedly being paid late a couple of years ago I wrote to all parents saying that as of the 1st of the month I would be adhering to my contracts and charging it. I then had to charge 2 parents, 1 parent ended up owing me over £70 in late fees. The other parent phoned me to question it and then tried to use the excuse that they were on holiday when payment was due. I told her in no uncertain terms that that was not my problem and I bet the bank wouldn't accept them paying their mortgage late due to being on holiday. I have not been paid late again but if I am I will not hesitate to charge it.
Write to your parents with a new late fees policy and then implement it.
xxxx