PDA

View Full Version : driving me potty......

Rickers83
03-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Lo2, same age as my dd (all but 2 weeks).

He can tell me the car that went past is 'mini', but cant answer any simple question i ask, such as; are you hot, thirsty hungry? Can you fetch the ball?
Looks at me like I'm talking Chinese.
I've tested to see if its his understanding by asking him if hes pooed when i know he hasn't, he says "yep" like he does to everything i ask.

Walks away from the other children who are playing to sit by himself, wont join in with activities.

All he ever says is my daughters name at random times throughout the day even when shes not near or its not relevant.

He can say other words as he will copy me & my dd.

I wouldn't say in concerned about his overall development, although there are definitely areas where he does not reach his expected age/stage.

Any ideas?

shortstuff
03-07-2014, 03:44 PM
are the parents good communicators with you? maybe ask them what he is like at home. only if you trust them to be honest though.

Rickers83
03-07-2014, 03:49 PM
I have asked/mentioned things before, but don't get much back.
Or in the case of a persistent cough, the docs appointment was always being sorted out 'tomorrow'

Rickers83
03-07-2014, 04:07 PM
I know it sounds ridiculous but I've just tested it again, asked if his name was bob (which its not) he said 'yep'

I said no its not its x, 'yep'

Said to my dd (separately, so hadn't heard me ask lo) are you bob? "no, me x"

k1rstie
04-07-2014, 01:21 PM
I know it's hard, but we really shouldn't compare one child with another! Even when their ages are really close.

I have done it many times, and the difference between two children can be huge. At one point I had three girls who were all born within 14 days of each other. Now, there was a huge difference at every level between them all, but that did not mean there were any problems. In the end, I found it really interesting to see such huge differences with children that many people would think to be at similar levels.

I had to remember that all children are unique, and had to look at the EYFS for each child individually. Because all children develop at different rates, that's why the age bands are so wide in the EYFS. Don't make your self mad over it, 'Not Bob' will catch up when he is ready!

amyp
05-07-2014, 06:04 AM
I have a child who is the same. She is polite with her thank yous but won't do anything I ask and doesn't seem to understand anything I say. Much younger children understand more. I can get her to look at me. She is always pushing younger children over and says sorry like a robot but then when I explain she made them sad she just says unhuh. I think she will mature quickly at some point. She is new with me x

blue bear
06-07-2014, 07:42 AM
http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/plym_form_1_child_monitoring_tool_.pdf

Have a look at this highlight what the child can do, you will see if there is need for concern if there are big gaps in expected development goals.

Has he had his two year check with the hv might be worth getting that chased up

tori4
06-07-2014, 08:36 PM
I find this stage so frustrating - and sympathise with u

I find some children are very gd a parrot talking just repeating everyday phases they know their adults like em to say.

Bye bye- See ya later - night night -

With regards to understanding and answering questions u could try asking open-ended questions - I find this sooooo hard but have put up a list of examples/prompts in my playroom . U could Also try.... I think it's called narrating 'look 'not bob' has done a poo' .

This is also as frustrating as not following prepositions for example
'pick the car up its next to ur foot'

Child looks everywhere but next to their foot !!!

I find grown man esp DH also have this syndrome too ;-)))

HTH

jackie 7
06-07-2014, 10:23 PM
I have had a bog like this. He had hardly any words. I started to listen to what I said. Then slowed and simplified my speech. Made sure I gave extra time to answer and tried to stop thf others answering for him. Gradually his speech improved. Look at the ican site for info. Talk to mum and dad.

FussyElmo
07-07-2014, 07:04 AM
I have had a bog like this. He had hardly any words. I started to listen to what I said. Then slowed and simplified my speech. Made sure I gave extra time to answer and tried to stop thf others answering for him. Gradually his speech improved. Look at the ican site for info. Talk to mum and dad.

Jackie I think autocorrect with a ******e in its eyes have preyed on you. Im pretty sure you meant boy not bog lol but at least you brought a smile to my face

FussyElmo
07-07-2014, 07:07 AM
Im also going to point out the word isnt offensive thats starred out and have brought it to the attention of Richard :-D

k1rstie
07-07-2014, 12:56 PM
http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/plym_form_1_child_monitoring_tool_.pdf

up

Thanks for posting this