PDA

View Full Version : caring for a child before registration

Kidston
03-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Ive had a friend ask me to care for her little one from the beginning of October.
Im currently waiting for my dbs to come back its been 6weeks already so should definitely be done by the end of the month. So I can allow to ofsted the beginning of August which if it takes me 12 weeks takes me to the end of October.

If I didnt charge for caring for her those few weeks before im registered is this ok? If it was someone I didnt know I wouldn't do this but as its a friend I feel comfortable with it.

Chatterbox Childcare
03-07-2014, 10:50 AM
Could you do it in her home - nannying?

littlepumpkins
03-07-2014, 11:36 AM
I have this problem too, I wanted to be ready by Sept but have a few lovely families waiting but this one family is a friend and I don't want to miss out on having her daughter. Can we CM from our home if it's un-paid or do I need to go down the nannying route? Thanks x

Kidston
03-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Nannying isnt an option for her, I dont drive and her husband works from home

Mouse
03-07-2014, 12:58 PM
The ofsted factsheet says you don't need to be registered:

"If you care for children aged under eight on domestic premises as a childminder without receiving any payment or reward for your services. Domestic premises can be your own home or someone else’s home."

and

"If you only care for the children of one or more friends in your own home or someone else’s home and no money or payment changes hands. Payment is defined as a ‘payment of money or money’s worth’ which means payment for or towards the costs involved in the childcare such as a contribution to heating and lighting, or paying for food or repairs to the place where the childminding happens. However you will need to register as childminder if your friend pays you for looking after their child."

If your situation fits either of those criteria, you should be OK.

littlepumpkins
04-07-2014, 11:29 AM
The ofsted factsheet says you don't need to be registered: "If you care for children aged under eight on domestic premises as a childminder without receiving any payment or reward for your services. Domestic premises can be your own home or someone else’s home." and "If you only care for the children of one or more friends in your own home or someone else’s home and no money or payment changes hands. Payment is defined as a ‘payment of money or money’s worth’ which means payment for or towards the costs involved in the childcare such as a contribution to heating and lighting, or paying for food or repairs to the place where the childminding happens. However you will need to register as childminder if your friend pays you for looking after their child." If your situation fits either of those criteria, you should be OK.

Thank you Hun, I will give Ofsted a call and run it by them first as don't want to get into any trouble obviously. X

Kidston
04-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Can you let me know what they say littlepumpkin please

littlepumpkins
04-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Can you let me know what they say littlepumpkin please

Yes sure Hun x

bunyip
04-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Make sure you're entirely comfortable with it. You would not strictly be able to require mum to contract to your service once your registration came through. The mere promise of a future contract could be legally interpreted as "for reward". IOW if mum uses your unregistered services for free then walks away the moment you're in a position to charge, you'd just have to suck it up. :(

Also make sure mum knows the implications of using unregistered care. ie. You're not able to get insurance, etc. and she remains responsible for the child at all times.

That said, being trusted with the child is the highest form of flattery, so she clearly trusts you and it's a testament to your obvious skills and personality that she wants you to do it. :thumbsup: Hope it all goes well and all the best for your new venture when the registration comes through. :)

littlepumpkins
06-07-2014, 07:25 AM
It really is something I need to think through, ATM I'm be run-decided in what to do. Has I work part time and this will mean changing all my hours to accommodate this child so I can still earn a living whilst waiting for my reg x