PDA

View Full Version : Notice period for starting?

Petshrinklj
02-07-2014, 07:26 PM
I had an enquiry today and she was interested in how soon I could take her little one on. I have spaces so I said he could start next week if we fitted into a couple of settling in sessions in this week. She said everyone else she had phoned had said they had 3 week notice period. So now my paranoia has kicked in lol. Is there any reason why it's common to offer a place 3 weeks later rather than straight away?

littlebears1009
02-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Ive never heard of a 3 week notice period. As long as your happy to take them on and can fit in the settling sessions then start when you feel ready! Good luck! X

KateA
02-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Hi I have never heard of a waiting period either I do like my new mindees to have had two settling in sessions before starting with me but this is more for them to get used coming to me and to ask any outstanding questions etc myself or family may have. I had a phone call this week at 9pm at night from someone wanting care the next day at 8 am ! this is something I would not do as like to meet child and the parents before I start caring for them.

moggy
02-07-2014, 08:23 PM
Maybe they meant a CM couldn't say if they could take the child on because for a current client to leave (and create a space) they have to give xx weeks notice?

Don't worry, no need to delay a start as long as you are happy with the family- meet them, meet the child though. NO way would I say 'yes' to anything without meeting face to face and spending some time with the child.

Remember-there may be a reason why they need care quickly, what if they have been given sudden notice from a previous CM due to 'problems' or some sort?! They are not likely to tell you that.

You are choosing them as much as they are choosing you. Be picky, or you could be regretting it long term.

k1rstie
02-07-2014, 09:50 PM
A 3 week notice period would take you to the start of the English school holidays. Maybe it is linked to this?

hectors house
03-07-2014, 07:17 AM
A 3 week notice period would take you to the start of the English school holidays. Maybe it is linked to this?

Yes this is a good point perhaps the other childminders look after teacher's children term time only and those children are leaving in July as starting school in September - I have one leaving then.

Did you ask why they need to start straight away - is it that they have left a childminder or Nursery or is it just that the mum is starting a new job? I did once take a child whose parents wanted an immediate start because they had taken her out of Nursery, I did phone the Nursery to get their side of the story, but unwisely I didn't take notice of their comments about the parents - (not the child) - I learnt the hard way!

Simona
03-07-2014, 07:41 AM
I had an enquiry today and she was interested in how soon I could take her little one on. I have spaces so I said he could start next week if we fitted into a couple of settling in sessions in this week. She said everyone else she had phoned had said they had 3 week notice period. So now my paranoia has kicked in lol. Is there any reason why it's common to offer a place 3 weeks later rather than straight away?

There is a difference between a 'starting' date and settling in....I believe
A child can start only when a space becomes available...settling-in can be done with the parents while we are still full so we do not go over numbers...then as the place is vacated the child starts

If the parent has contacted other Cms then each would have a unique way of doing things...some may want notice for whatever reasons...if you have offered a space at short notice then the parent should be happy with this, accommodate your settling-in, sign contract and start

Hope it will work for you...good luck

Mummits
05-07-2014, 09:31 AM
The only thing I would add is to make sure you get cleared payment or cash before you start. Other childminder may have said three weeks in order to allow time for voucher payments to get set up and working. It can easily take a couple of weeks to get straight. Meanwhile if they SAY they are sorting out voucher payments but don't, then they could leave you high and dry.