PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a britax super cruiser seat?

tigwig
02-07-2014, 10:23 AM
I have one of these that I used for my own children. Obviously it is an old seat but in good condition still. On the side it says from 9kg but I feel that is too young to be secured with an adult seat belt alone so have never done this.
I am now in the situation of having several 2 - 4 year olds on various days and to save constantly swapping seats about wondered if it was still safe to use with a 2 yr old?
The newer forward facing seats now say from 15kg which the 2yr olds aren't.
So do I go by the label on the seat that says its ok or not?

QualityCare
02-07-2014, 12:31 PM
I used this seat for my children and then for minding, for very occasional use l would put a 2yr old in it as you are conforming to that seats advice and because the head rest adjusts so that the seat belt seats correctly on the shoulder but l would prefer a child that age to be in a 5point harness.

Lal
02-07-2014, 12:34 PM
This is on britax website about deciding whether to use an old car seat:

FAQ - BRITAX (http://www.britax.co.uk/customer-service/faq)

I know that car seats also have a use by date too. x

Tazmin68
02-07-2014, 05:50 PM
I have been told it is good practise to replace every 5 years plus it does have to be compliant by current regulations which is to have the current safety certificate ECE r44 3/4 on displsy

tigwig
02-07-2014, 08:28 PM
I had heard about replacing car seats after so many years but it this actual fact? If it is my maxi cosi seat which was around £200 nearly 10 years ago would have to go too! It has been used for both my children and is in excellent condition. Use it now for mindees.
Still unsure what to do with the super cruiser seat too!

Lal
02-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Found this on the RoSPA site which suggests life span of seats is a legitimate concern:

Second Hand Child Seats | Child Car Seats (http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing-using/second-hand-child-seats/)

Plastic, polystyrene and other materials used in car seat manufacture all deteriorate in time, so it does make sense that they will be past their best after a certain age.

loocyloo
02-07-2014, 09:05 PM
I had heard about replacing car seats after so many years but it this actual fact? If it is my maxi cosi seat which was around £200 nearly 10 years ago would have to go too! It has been used for both my children and is in excellent condition. Use it now for mindees.
Still unsure what to do with the super cruiser seat too!

I was devastated as mine still looked new but .... yes I had to replace my maxi cosi ! ... they need replacing if it doesn't conform to current standards! I decided that I couldn't put a price on the safety of any child, and if it meant buying a new seat - then that's what I would do. that said, I didn't spend £200 on a new car seat for mindees, I bought backed boosters with removeable 5 point harnesses from kiddicare. they are good, I can use them for all ages once out of a baby seat. my own children used to travel away at weekends/on holiday in their seats and I felt they needed the bigger car seat, but now, the longest any mindee is in the car is about half hour, and I didn't feel they needed the 'big' car seat.

Tazmin68
03-07-2014, 03:52 PM
I think we have bought the same kiddicare ones. I bought three last August after receiving email from the LA about the ECE R44 3/4 label and realised that mine needed replacing and like previous post. I was not going to pay £100 for each seat. I have kiddicare traffic 123 in black and was in a sale at £29.99 each and had an hour delivery slot. They are easy to fit easy to sway from 5 point belt to three point belt and to wash.

tigwig
04-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Update!
I have just spoken to Britax who manufacturer the seat and they have said it is perfectly legal and safe. I asked about the age and whether it has any expiry date and she said no none of their seats do. So that's good news I guess.
On the other hand I spoke to maxi cosi about my other seat and they said they only last 5-6 yrs. I can't help but think they are saying that so people buy another. If britax ones last then why dont others? And what about the 1, 2, 3 stage seats? For 12 mths to 12 years?! What do others think?