PDA

View Full Version : Environmental health 'practitioner' visit feedback.

FloraDora
01-07-2014, 08:25 PM
Had a weeks notice of her visit.
We sat at dining room table and went through her questionnaire - key points:
Asked what I provided- showed her menus.
Asked about food hygiene qualification - yes
Asked how I cleaned work surfaces- kitchen cleaner with cloth wipe dry and then spray sanitiser - kitchen towel to dry, throw away - cloth and teatowel I use to wipe in washing machine, wm door closed.
Chopping boards- colour coded.
How I know I keep food at correct temp- I keep a daily temp record
Read through safer booklet - but not in detail, just wanted to see I fill in a weekly comment- mine is mostly no problems and I had 2 3 monthly reviews - 3 lines long.
Cooking food - how do I know I am cooking at correct temp?- visual and food probe- how do I wash food probe? -Antibacterial wipes.
Where do I get my food - said she was checking for reputable places, said it was ok to buy veg from Birmingham market - I only shop in Sains and a local reputable butcher - seemed ok.
Do I keep receipts - yes showed her. Explained that was good as, if someone was poorly they could trace source.
Food rotation? i put stickers on my opened goods as most say once opened use by....so I write on when opened - especially jars - mint sauce etc.. - wrote I use stickers on her form.
Prep of veg - I use my seperate utility fridge because we grow our own and you never know whats in the soil that is attached to it!
Looked in downstairs cloakroom as that is where we wash our hands, happy with single use flannel towels - use and throw in laundry basket wash daily.
Looked in fridge - all fine - just to check that I keep cooked and raw seperate and that raw is at the bottom I think.
Feedback to me - all good got a 5 - top mark - clean premises, confident to talk about what I do, knowledgable and paperwork evidence to back up what I say.

She didn't look on top of cupboards that DH spent a while degreasing or in any cupboard that I emptied and cleaned or look at any dates on food - which I double checked were all ok. She didn't talk about my dog either who was lying next to her the whole time and followed us into kitchen. So feel I rather over prepared but happy that my kitchen has had a spring clean.
She was very nice and made me feel comfortable when chatting.
Hope this is useful to you all.

tonib
02-07-2014, 04:54 AM
Thx for sharing Floradora x

natlou82
02-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Thankyou for the feedback, very useful :-)

kat27
06-07-2014, 06:16 AM
How often isnit you are inspected? I registered with them when I started and not heard anything off them since my initial visit. Thanks Kat x

FloraDora
06-07-2014, 09:00 AM
How often isnit you are inspected? I registered with them when I started and not heard anything off them since my initial visit. Thanks Kat x

She told me when I registered that it would be about 6 months - which it was- she told me on visit that it would be 3 years now - this is Staffordshire.

Kidston
06-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the fedback that's really helpful.

Just a quick question yiu said you use kitchen cleaning and then a sanitizer afrerwards when wiping down surfaces. Is an anti bac spray not enough?

FloraDora
06-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the fedback that's really helpful.

Just a quick question yiu said you use kitchen cleaning and then a sanitizer afrerwards when wiping down surfaces. Is an anti bac spray not enough?

I have quite an old kitchen surface which stains really easily so I always use a bleach based cleaner that will get rid of a tea ring first - then anti bac it. On my course they recommended hot soapy water and then anti bac.

rickysmiths
06-07-2014, 02:44 PM
I use hot soapy water. I don't have an anti bac spray in the house and I don't have any bleach either horrible stuff. If you clean effectively it is plenty. What an earth do people thin we did before anti bac spray which had only been around for 20 years or so. Since its use we have more allergies and food in tolerances than ever.

hummingbird2014
06-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Thanks this is very helpful!

LizP
06-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Thank you that's very helpful! I am thinking of using the safer food better business pack, is that what others use?

X

FloraDora
06-07-2014, 05:34 PM
I use hot soapy water. I don't have an anti bac spray in the house and I don't have any bleach either horrible stuff. If you clean effectively it is plenty. What an earth do people thin we did before anti bac spray which had only been around for 20 years or so. Since its use we have more allergies and food in tolerances than ever.

I have to agree about the bleach being horrible stuff, but it is the only thing that will remove unsightly stains from my really old work surface....so I use it because I like the surface to look clean and stain free.

Big apologies not environmentally friendly, but I have tried all the environmentally friendly cleaners and they just don't work the same miracle on 'Mrs You need to be replaced work surface'.

Sorry!

Simona
07-07-2014, 06:21 AM
I have to agree about the bleach being horrible stuff, but it is the only thing that will remove unsightly stains from my really old work surface....so I use it because I like the surface to look clean and stain free.

Big apologies not environmentally friendly, but I have tried all the environmentally friendly cleaners and they just don't work the same miracle on 'Mrs You need to be replaced work surface'.

Sorry!

Great feedback Flora Dora...in my LA we do not seem to receive visits...all done by post and forms...it shows each LA has its own systems :D

I feel we can use whatever we wish when cleaning so no need to say sorry...I particularly like bleach and use it with caution and rinse well after use.
Has anyone tried cleaning windows with bleach spray??? I find it the BEST!!!

I also think it has been in use for many many years and ...yes ...at times it is the most efficient way of getting rid of stains...I also particularly like the smell

As for anti bacterial spray...well it does its job and as long as we do not go mad why not use it and make life easy?
Soap and water?...why not if that suits some people

We are all different...yet again!!

sarah707
07-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Thank you so much for the feedback ... we are waiting for ours! x

jackie 7
08-07-2014, 10:44 PM
i had mine in london. she told me i had to use anti bac. i told her i had mice from the empty site next door. she was pleased i had a contract and checked the bait boxes. told her i had given up using traps after my last nanny job where i caught 15 mice and a half dead baby rat. I had the safer book a food probe which she explained properly how to use and said i might never see her again. Here in herts i just filled out a form and said i had done food hyegine and she was ok about it.