PDA

View Full Version : do I have to notify ofsted?

Rickers83
30-06-2014, 04:52 PM
I have always suffered panic attacks, but just got on with it.
The last few weeks they have been really bad, ending up with me being taken to a&e on Friday in a real mess.

My gp has given me forms to fill in & is seeing me again Friday to decide if i need meds or a referral for cbt.

Is this something i need to tell Ofsted? Also do parents have a right to know & if so I'm worried it will put them off

AliceK
30-06-2014, 04:56 PM
I would think you need to see what your GP says when you see him. I guess it depends on whether the panic attacks or the meds (if any) are likely to affect you doing your job. But whatever happens you certainly don't need to tell the parents any of your personal / medical problems.

Good luck :thumbsup:

xxx

Rick
30-06-2014, 05:02 PM
You are required to inform Ofsted of anything that might affect your ability to childmind. I would contact them to see if they think you should officially inform them or not.

amyp
30-06-2014, 05:14 PM
I got told off by an inspector for not telling them that after my smear test I went in to have cells removed- all fine no problems. But she told me I had to tell them everything! Now I want to tell them I have a cold!!

AliceK
30-06-2014, 06:02 PM
I got told off by an inspector for not telling them that after my smear test I went in to have cells removed- all fine no problems. But she told me I had to tell them everything! Now I want to tell them I have a cold!!

How on earth does that affect you doing your job??

I can't see the justification of that.

xxxx

amyp
30-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I said I am not ill and never was- the test cleared me. She said I had to disclose everything, then they know I'm not lying about anything else. I think we are entitled to a little privacy.

Mrs Scrubbit
30-06-2014, 06:38 PM

How mad! I've had various investigations and several ops. taking time off for them/recovery as my hols. Never effected my ability to work( once I had re-opened) so never even thought about informing Ofsted xx

Simona
01-07-2014, 06:35 AM

Sorry to ask this...but how on earth did the inspector come to discuss such a private matter during an inspection?
I would assume you had a small surgical procedure 'outside your childminding' hours.. in your free time?

ALL that is required is to inform Ofsted of matters that may prevent us from childminding or affect our care...I doubt this is one of them
I would report this if I were you ...this is not good practice from inspectors and should be stopped

Becci26
01-07-2014, 07:00 AM

I got told off for not notifying Ofsted wen i went in for an operation to have cysts removed - I took planned time off so no different to being in holiday IMO. But apparently you have to tell them everything, I got my wrist slapped but they let me off because I was unaware

AliceK
01-07-2014, 08:34 AM
I would like to know where on earth it says that we have to notify them of all this. In my understanding of what I can see we only have to notify them if something might affect our ability to do our job safely. It's about time Ofsted got their act together and stopped making all this nonsense up. If I had been told any of this by an inspector I would have asked where exactly it states that I should have told them???? We are entitled to a private life and our medical issues are none of their business unless as I say they may affect our ability to carry out our job. The whole thing is a joke

xxxx

Koala
01-07-2014, 08:44 AM

I am astounded, I think this actually breaches your basic human rights or something along those lines :angry:

Lal
01-07-2014, 09:02 AM
The health declaration book asks for all medical conditions for last 5 years, you sign to say you will update ofsted with significant changes and your GP is asked to update ofsted of any changes which 'give cause for concern about their ability to care for children and/ or young people'.

The past 2 jobs I have applied for and a volunteer role have required similar medical declarations. I think it is now common place.

AliceK
01-07-2014, 09:11 AM
The health declaration book asks for all medical conditions for last 5 years, you sign to say you will update ofsted with significant changes and your GP is asked to update ofsted of any changes which 'give cause for concern about their ability to care for children and/ or young people'.

The past 2 jobs I have applied for and a volunteer role have required similar medical declarations. I think it is now common place.

The key here is the word Significant - definition "sufficiently great or important to be worthy of attention;"

A previous poster had some cells removed after a smear test, a quite common procedure which does not fit with my understanding of "significant".

If I was a bit constipated last week, bit of tummy ache etc etc would that be significant lol

xxx

Lal
01-07-2014, 09:16 AM
I put the same procedure on my form as it asks for all, but like you say I wouldn't class it as a significant change in health so wouldn't update if it had happened after I completed the health declaration form. All as clear as mud x