View Full Version : existing injury on schoolie but no contract

30-06-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi, I am leaving minding at the end of july, last week a mum of a child in my ds class asked me to do emergency after school care for her sun for 3 days so we didnt do a contract. At the weekend she then asked me to collect just this week too. Teacher pulled me in to pass on to mum he has bitten his arm numerous times like the footballer luis suarez. Do i need to create an existing injury form for this?

30-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Did the school not give you an injury slip? If they did then I would keep a copy of it. If not (and they don't at our school for older children) then Yes I would do one as it was an existing injury when you picked him up from school.


01-07-2014, 12:16 AM
When my schoolies come out of school with a bump or injury that the school tells me about I fill in the existing injury form - I also put the name of teacher/ TA that explained the injury and get the parent to sign.

01-07-2014, 06:10 AM
While we appreciate that schools may not have the time to fill us in on accidents I think...in some cases...they really must...after all the F/Aid they attend is the same as ours and so are procedures?

In this case... as in many others... it would be appropriate to know about the accident and also about the treatment given to the child as...for instance...when children hit their head which can cause concussion and have symptoms much later from the time the accident happened...schools seem to forget that (at least that is my experience)

Human bites are more dangerous than animal bites...so I would want to know what the school has done

Hope all is sorted out for you Littlebears and ...although this will not apply to you in future...regardless of the time a child is with you ...do a short contract...even a page will do BUT cover yourself for any eventuality especially regarding accidents

Good luck

01-07-2014, 09:00 AM
I would do an existing injury form. I'd attach a copy of the school's incident report if available. If school refused to supply an incident form, I'd ask for their incident reference and note that on my existing injury form. If school haven't done an incident form, I'd write a note to that effect on my existing injury form.

I had to do exactly this 2 weeks ago. One of my mindees hurt himself on school playground equipment whilst in dad's care as he was dropping off older sibling at school. Dad reported it to the school office, who did not offer first aid and refused to record the accident, saying "not an Ofsted or LA requirement since the lo is not a pupil at the school." Either school are incompetent or thought they could fob dad off cos he's not UK born so maybe they thought he wouldn't take it further. Unfortunately for school, dad knows the rules through his managerial responsibilities at work. So he has notified HSE of school's failure to report an accident on the premises. And, yes, this is our local 'Outstanding' school. :mad:

Btw, I would've done a contract anyway, but our responsibility for recording/reporting remains the same with or without a contract.