PDA

View Full Version : Childminders running after school clubs at school

cockatoos
30-06-2014, 01:16 PM
Hi everyone,
I have been inundated with requests for afterschool care from my local infant school, as have the other local childminders. There is an afterschool club which picks up from the school but it's not well liked, especially for the younger children. It got me thinking whether I should think about setting up an afterschool club at the school and what hoops I would have to jump through in order to do it. I wondered whether anyone had any experience of doing this?

I currently childmind with my husband but he would stay at home to look after the rest of the little children, plus picking up our son from junior school.

So what I know so far is;

I would need to register as childcare on non domestic premises.
I would need two people, one qualified to level 3 (me) plus an assistant.
I could look after up to 8 children per adult - does this include children of nursery school age as the school has a nursery attached?
I would obviously need insurance, RAs, policies etc.

I would also need to know whether this is viable income wise - I think initially it would start small but might increase.

Has anyone got any advice for me? What big things am I missing?! Would love to just be able to work term time only and then only one of us would need to look after the little children during the holidays, freeing up the other to look after our boys in the holidays.

Thanks in advance!

Simona
30-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Hi everyone,
I have been inundated with requests for afterschool care from my local infant school, as have the other local childminders. There is an afterschool club which picks up from the school but it's not well liked, especially for the younger children. It got me thinking whether I should think about setting up an afterschool club at the school and what hoops I would have to jump through in order to do it. I wondered whether anyone had any experience of doing this?

I currently childmind with my husband but he would stay at home to look after the rest of the little children, plus picking up our son from junior school.

So what I know so far is;

I would need to register as childcare on non domestic premises.
I would need two people, one qualified to level 3 (me) plus an assistant.
I could look after up to 8 children per adult - does this include children of nursery school age as the school has a nursery attached?
I would obviously need insurance, RAs, policies etc.

I would also need to know whether this is viable income wise - I think initially it would start small but might increase.

Has anyone got any advice for me? What big things am I missing?! Would love to just be able to work term time only and then only one of us would need to look after the little children during the holidays, freeing up the other to look after our boys in the holidays.

Thanks in advance!

This is something CMs have been expecting due to the changes coming in EYFS 2014 in Sept and schools having to open 8-6PM
Look at EYFS 2014 page 24 (3.40) as it deals with qualifications and ratio
You may remember the govt has done away with the need for qualifications in pre/after school care and the ratio is 1:30
There is also no need anymore to comply with the Learning and Development for that provision
In one of her speeches Truss did mention this an opportunity for CMs to run after school care away from a home based setting

The school should be able to work with you on this by looking at the EYFS and deciding together how they want to run the session
Would be great if you can feedback once you have talked to the school...good luck

cockatoos
30-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Thanks Simona - that's very helpful. I sort of knew of these changes but hadn't fully looked at them. There is no way that I am going to be in sole care of 30 children! To be honest it's quite a small school so probably smallish numbers. It's looks like normal ratios would apply for nursery aged children so that would be a bit of a palaver.

I'll have a chat to head teacher to see what she thinks and report back!