PDA

View Full Version : SCHOOL TRANSITION FORMS

hectors house
29-06-2014, 04:00 PM
I have 2 mindees starting school in September, one parent has asked if I will do a Transition form as she said I know her child far better than Nursery (I have looked after him since he was 10 months), I know only have him one day a week and Nursery has him for his 15 hours funding. When I went to a Nursery cluster meeting with the school reception teachers, the teachers said they haven't got time to read everything that a child can do, they would prefer to know what a child can't do - but I don't want this child's last Summative assessment to be negative. He is working at 40 - 60 months in all areas - in some areas he is still Developing but some he is now Secure - I don't have any worries about this child starting school but don't know how to word it - Any help or ideas from anyone who does transition forms would be appreciated. :)

loocyloo
29-06-2014, 04:27 PM
I do something similar to my summatives ...

each of the 7 areas has a brief statement listing what child can do - usually picking out just 1 or 2 things, and then for each of the sections within that area I write/highlight the age band child is secure in and if also developing ( half way ish ) highlight in a different colour ( with a note at the bottom to say which colour is secure/developing ). this means they can see at a glance, but more info available if they wish.

I also note COEL, and current interests.

if there are major ' can't do's ' that you are concerned about or think might hinder child, I would perhaps note them in another box saying ' we are working on ... XYZ ( recognising numerals, sitting still, whatever! )

good luck x

I think its shame that the teachers say they don't have time to read everything - it would give them a better picture of the child, and all children, and surely that would make their lives easier? I don't know, I'm not a teacher, but I shared the above with one of LOs new teachers and she said it gave her a much more rounded picture of child, than she got from nursery. would the teacher be open to you popping in and sharing LOs LJ at some point? 'my' teachers love seeing mine!

Qualfirst
29-06-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm new to this area too.

However, having spoken with my lo's teacher, she stated she would like to have his ages and stages, and we agreed that this, with his learning journal, would give her enough info to ease the lo into school life.

This is how I work:
I number individual pieces of evidence in the child's learning journal and record these against the ages and stages (using development matters). I produce summative assessments throughout the year, and when a child is secure in that area I highlight it (using different colours at different times for my summative assessments). There may be several pieces of evidence against individual areas of learning but until that child is secure in that area it is not highlighted. This system shows how the child has progressed (being able to see at any time what stage of development the child is at) during their time with me. It also shows when he is developing within an area, and in conjunction with his learning journal gives information to the teacher as to what still needs to be done.

We have agreed that I would highlight his age/stage of development at the end of his time with me, and the teacher would take my monitoring document and my learning journal for the child to give her a starting point. No summative assessment report to write (saves me time) - no lots of reading for her (saves her time).

Well hopefully this will work for both of us!

hectors house
29-06-2014, 06:36 PM
Thank you for answering my query - I did phone the schools to ask if they used "Tapestry" on-line learning journals in Reception as I believe a lot of schools do, but neither school do - but I may set up a temporary password for them to view the journal as it has lots of photos and videos of the children behaving naturally with me - I have printed off a Summative assessment which shows the ages and stages and whether Emerging, Developing or Secure but it does have any personal comments about the child, so may add those to it.