PDA

View Full Version : What to do when a parent is on maternity leave

stacieepg
26-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Hi All,

I'll be looking after a before/after schooler from Sept.

From Jan she goes on maternity leave until Sept. She doesn't intend to send the before/after schooler while on maternity. She's also not sure about sending new baby to a childminder as she prefers nursery's.

What would you do about keeping the place?

1.) not keep the place between Jan - sept
2.) just keep the place
3.) charge a retainer (50%, or even 25% between Jan & Sep)

Thanks

Mouse
26-06-2014, 02:50 PM
I would do a short term contract for Sept until January, then take on someone new from January onwards.

I wouldn't hold a space for someone who might not even come back after maternity leave. Wish her well and tell her she's more than welcome to contact you closer to the time & you'll let her know whether or not you have a space available :thumbsup:

QualityCare
26-06-2014, 02:58 PM
l personally wouldn't keep a space open for a before and after school for so long, would the mum be happy paying a 50% (it wouldn't be worth your while charging her less unless you won't miss the money) fee for 9mths how would you feel if someone else came along and you could get the full fee.

AliceK
26-06-2014, 03:47 PM
I would do a short term contract for Sept until January, then take on someone new from January onwards.

I wouldn't hold a space for someone who might not even come back after maternity leave. Wish her well and tell her she's more than welcome to contact you closer to the time & you'll let her know whether or not you have a space available :thumbsup:

I would do the same :thumbsup:

xxx

LauraS
26-06-2014, 06:03 PM
I agree too, short term contract from September to January. And I wouldnt be holding a space for a short term contract for September either to be honest. I find I have loads of enquiries for school spaces in the run up to September, and little the rest of the year, so could potentially fill that September space many times over with someone permanent.

I would possibly look at saving a space for one of my lovely long term families by having schoolie only one day but keeping the whole schoolies space open (especially if baby coming too) but that's because the kids and their families have sentimental value. This new family won't, so business is business.