PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any tips on keeping toddler's sunhats on?

Mummits
26-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Just that really. I have just asked Dad to make sure sunhats are in LO's bag and he said No point he will have it off in seconds and lose it.

I used to put a headscarf on my own son - pirate style - as he would try to lose a hat but tolerated a scarf. Does anyone have any other ideas?

AliceK
26-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Consistency is key. I've had a few who just will not keep a sunhat on for their parents but they soon learn that they have no choice with me. I will put it on 100 times if I have to and each time tell them to keep it on. If they are old enough to understand then they learn that if they can't keep it on they can't go outside to play. Same with suncream, I have 2 who will make mum chase them around to put it on them. When they're with me they will sit on the step along with everyone else and let me put it on - I do use the once a day one though so 1 application in the morning and that should see them through the day. I tell parents I will not compromise where childrens safety is concerned and if that means I need to be stern then I will be. (I sound like a right meanie don't I lol)

xxxx

sing-low
26-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Agree with Alice. If the sun hat comes off, I put it straight back on again and again and again for as long as it takes. Frustrating for a bit but they soon realise they might as well leave it alone and get on with playing. I even managed to get a LO who,'didn't like to wear a hat' to be happy in a bike helmet.

Mouse
26-06-2014, 01:34 PM
I still have parents who are surprised when they realise their child has worn their sunhat the whole time we have been outside!

In the past I have stitched ribbon under hats so I could tie them on, although I do find that just by continually saying "put your hat on" works pretty quickly :thumbsup:

FloraDora
26-06-2014, 01:50 PM
I agree with sing low and Alice put it straight back on..also I role model as I always wear a sunhat as I am really fair and getting a hat that is really comfy and fits well helps, most take it off because it is not comfortable or when they run it comes off.
When I did some research for the government in schools in Australia -in my other life - the schools had a 'no hat - no play policy' for outside -for everyone, teachers included. so I use that too and the LO's accept it.

Mouse
26-06-2014, 02:08 PM
I agree with sing low and Alice put it straight back on..also I role model as I always wear a sunhat as I am really fair and getting a hat that is really comfy and fits well helps, most take it off because it is not comfortable or when they run it comes off.
When I did some research for the government in schools in Australia -in my other life - the schools had a 'no hat - no play policy' for outside -for everyone, teachers included. so I use that too and the LO's accept it.

That's a very good point.

A couple of years back I told the children they had to have sunhats & suncream on before they could go outside. One of them asked why I didn't! I do put suncream on now, though I still don't wear a hat - I tell them I'll stay in the shade.

Glitter
26-06-2014, 03:27 PM
My husband has suggested sellotape or cable ties might help!

I bought some sun hats last year (£2 each from local shop) and used marker pens to put my logo on. All the children get a hat when they start with me. They are usually so excited to have one they even wear them in the house!

loocyloo
26-06-2014, 03:30 PM
I too do the endless putting back on of hats!

I also use my own with LOs who come with hats that don't stay on! I don't like baseball caps as I don't feel they give enough protection unless they are the legionare style.

I also don't wear a hat myself. I have long hair which I have to wear down/low ponytail to wear a hat and when it's hot that drives me potty so I wear my hair up in a bun! I do wear suncream and sunglasses though!

littletreasures
26-06-2014, 03:37 PM
Stapler!!!

If they take it off, I just keep putting it back on again. Older ones I give the option, they either have it on or they can't play outside.

Dragonfly
26-06-2014, 06:09 PM
:panic: Stapler!!! NO glue gun :laughing: and I'm only joking.

Jiorjiina
29-06-2014, 01:10 PM
For very small ones, I put a bandana or something on under their hat, then when they take it off at least they're still wearing something underneath. Other than just, just repeatedly putting their hats back on every time seems to do the trick.

Now all I need to do is make sure they have the right hat when we go out! We had a massive screaming tantrum here last week because I tried to put the wrong hat on someone! :panic: