PDA

View Full Version : First Aid course - refresher or not?

tiredandemotional
25-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Hi All

I have been on maternity leave, and away from childminding for a while. Whilst not working my First Aid cert expired so I am now booked on a course to renew it. As I have previously done the 2 day paed course, three years ago, do I need to do the whole thing again (as I have booked to do) or can I just do a refresher? I am a bit worried about doing the whole thing again as it means being away from my baby for two whole days and I am still breastfeeding her :(

LittleRabbits
25-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Yes it is a requirement that you do full paediatric first aid course every 3 years. Is there not a course closer or breast feeding friendly? Millies trust provide first aid and u can take ur baby with u if under 12months old :)

Millies trust do both refresher and 12hr course. You would need 12hr

tiredandemotional
25-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Thanks Littlerabbits. It's reassuring to know I have booked the right one, and looked up Millies trust but don't think they cover my area (kent). I have permission to feed my baby during the course - my husband will drop her in at lunchtime as she normally only feeds once in the daytime now. I just don't really want to leave her for so long yet (even though she is my third!) xx

LittleRabbits
25-06-2014, 10:14 PM
Ah well that's good you can feed and just think, 2 days and it's all over and done with for another 3 years. I went with Cognet training and really enjoyed it, very indepth and interesting.

Good luck :-)

Simona
26-06-2014, 06:33 AM
Hi All

I have been on maternity leave, and away from childminding for a while. Whilst not working my First Aid cert expired so I am now booked on a course to renew it. As I have previously done the 2 day paed course, three years ago, do I need to do the whole thing again (as I have booked to do) or can I just do a refresher? I am a bit worried about doing the whole thing again as it means being away from my baby for two whole days and I am still breastfeeding her :(

There are F/Aid courses that run in the evening for 2 hrs 6 evenings.....instead of the 6hrs x 2 sessions at a weekend

See if you can find any close to you...that may be a better alternative

Good luck

k1rstie
26-06-2014, 12:23 PM
There are now companies that offer the course as one half online, and then one day in the classroom. (Locally its in a hotel ) I think that there is a requirement for the instructor to actually witness you doing CPR etc.