PDA

View Full Version : December childcare

Snowwhite
24-06-2014, 10:15 PM
If a parent has enquired now about childcare from the start of Dec this year for 2 days a week for 2 under 5 year olds and you are willing to hold the places then would you definately say there is a deposit required of x amount (a full months fee is what i would say as its 6 months down the line) or would you say a retainer fee between now and Dec or even deposit now plus a retainer from Sept to Dec.Mum wants term time only so i told her it would be half fee in the school hol

This mum who enquired via email has said her husband is not prepared to pay a retainer. Felt like telling her to shove off then and not advertise childcare for December until the end of the summer as its too early now!!! What my new message said was that i would accept a full months deposit and explained the reasons why and it would count for the first months fee but is non refundable.

Said that most CM's are looking to fill vacancies before December if they currently have spaces (which i do for under 5's) Hoping to fill them before Dec but may not as lots of CM's and nurseries in my area.(didn't tell her that part!) Said to her that retainer fees and deposits of a decent amount is the standard thing when places are required so far in advance.Mum/dad haven't yet visited me,this was just via emails.Starting to think i wrote too much to her instead of getting her to visit and then explain,but at the same time i don't want time wasters and people who are gonna complain about retainer fees/deposit.Most parents are glad to find the childcare and get it sorted.

Is that reasonable to say that? Am i being reasonable?

greanan
24-06-2014, 10:29 PM
I had a parent contact me last October looking for full time space for this September. At the time I couldn't do full time and she was happy to have the days I could manage. I didn't ask for a retainer and as things have worked out a couple have left freeing up full time space for baby. She's starting earlier now in August so I'm happy I waited and didn't fill every part time space I had available for a few months as in the long run I'd rather have full time lo

Chatterbox Childcare
25-06-2014, 06:43 AM
I think it is down to you - Personally I would want a retainer from Sept to November of 50% as it is two children but if you are happy with a deposit then I feel 1 month is fair to ask but make sure they know it is non refundable if they decide not to take up the space and put that in your contracts

Kiddleywinks
25-06-2014, 06:50 AM
I have found that people that didn't part with money to secure a place were the ones that always let me down (in the early days)
Asking for a deposit is not unreasonable, nor is asking for a retainer, particularly if there's a possibility of you being able to fill the spaces you have before the requested start date.
Whilst I can understand dad's reluctance to pay for something he's not yet using, he too should understand your reluctance about turning paid work away by keeping two spaces available unpaid for, especially when they haven't even met you.

If paying becomes an issue, ask them to contact you nearer the time to see if you still have spaces.
If you do, great, if not, then that's the way the cookie crumbles I'm afraid.

QualityCare
25-06-2014, 07:14 AM
If a space is available at the time of asking with a start date of more than 4 weeks away then l will ask for a weekly retainer to guarantee that the space is allocated to that family, no retainer no guarantee of space l will inform the family if someone else approaches me.

Snowwhite
25-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Thought i was in the right with what i told the parent.Good to know that you all would roughly say/do the same.Haven't yet heard back of the them and not expecting to now.Makes you think that if the dad/mum is being funny now about deposits and retainers then maybe i have had a lucky escape at they could be the type of parents that we don't want!

natlou82
25-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Totally in agreement, they will be very lucky if they find someone who will hold a place for that length of time on a wing and a prayer! If they don't want to pay that will their luck out when they leave it late and no one has space! Hope you fill your space quickly ;-)

Snowwhite
25-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks natlou82