PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

ja-lula-belli
23-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Hi all,
I am after some advice. A while back when I first started minding for the month of January I had a contract for an after schoolie.
This parent was claiming tax credits for help towards the cost.
(Unfortunately she was a problem payer and unreliable with times and pick ups etc)
Anyway she told me one day via a text "sorry won't be needing a childminder any more as I have quit work" (with how unreliable I knew she was I did think it possible she hand her job anymore)
She owed me £100odd outstanding. Also she was in a 4 week full pay notice contract but any way it tried to get the money I was owed but knew there was no point trying to get any as she couldn't afford it anyway.
So today I (5months on) she is still working! Now I don't know for sure but is it possible she can still be claiming tax credits in my number?
If she was would it affect me and my business? Could I be in trouble? I never signed any forms for her or anything .

Any help on this would be very appreciated.
( I would never want to cause any problems so I there any way to find out without making an official thing? )

bernesewalking
23-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Hi all,
I am after some advice. A while back when I first started minding for the month of January I had a contract for an after schoolie.
This parent was claiming tax credits for help towards the cost.
(Unfortunately she was a problem payer and unreliable with times and pick ups etc)
Anyway she told me one day via a text "sorry won't be needing a childminder any more as I have quit work" (with how unreliable I knew she was I did think it possible she hand her job anymore)
She owed me £100odd outstanding. Also she was in a 4 week full pay notice contract but any way it tried to get the money I was owed but knew there was no point trying to get any as she couldn't afford it anyway.
So today I (5months on) she is still working! Now I don't know for sure but is it possible she can still be claiming tax credits in my number?
If she was would it affect me and my business? Could I be in trouble? I never signed any forms for her or anything .

Any help on this would be very appreciated.
( I would never want to cause any problems so I there any way to find out without making an official thing? )

Firstly you are not liable for parents falsely claiming tax credits, they are, you could try ringing tax credits but from what I have heard they are not really interested, she will get caught out eventually as she will need proof she is paying childcare but that may not be till next year, so she will then have to contact you if she is using your details. But don't worry you will not be in trouble even tho it's very frustrating what they are up too.

ja-lula-belli
23-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Firstly you are not liable for parents falsely claiming tax credits, they are, you could try ringing tax credits but from what I have heard they are not really interested, she will get caught out eventually as she will need proof she is paying childcare but that may not be till next year, so she will then have to contact you if she is using your details. But don't worry you will not be in trouble even tho it's very frustrating what they are up too.

Really? Oh that's a relief! So I can just forget about it and nothing can come back on me?

sing-low
23-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Really? Oh that's a relief! So I can just forget about it and nothing can come back on me?

As long as you are honest if asked by tax credits (which you will be :littleangel: ) then you'll be fine. If she is claiming fraudulently (even using your number) then it's down to her, not you.

ja-lula-belli
23-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Thank you so much for your replies you have put my mind to rest x x x x

Kiddleywinks
24-06-2014, 06:29 AM
At some point in the future tax credits may well do a check, especially as at the moment it's renewal time.
If she is asked to provide a letter from her provider, she may well get a 'friend' to compose a letter stating days and times etc. She already has your EY number on her contract to make it look 'official'
Upon receipt of this letter, tax credits may well decide to contact you to verify 'your' letter and it's contents, which is usually by phone, but can be by letter direct to you.

You will not be penalised as it is the parent that is claiming, but if you want to alert TC's you can always call them on the benefit fraud hotline: 0800 854 440

Make a note of when you called them in case they do get in touch at a later date

Benefit fraud is a crime and one that affects us all