PDA

View Full Version : Don't think minding is for me?

tibasaur
23-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Hi all,
This is a long one. I've previously worked in creches and this is my first nannying/childminding job (in childrens own home). I started in January and leftIin March as I was to move to Australia which I ended up hating. When I moved home my old employer asked me to come back which I agreed to andso I've been here again since May.

I don't think minding is for me though, the days are long and lonely, I have no resources to use with the children or any playgroups to bring them to. Any materials I bring in myself are broken within a day as my employer lets the children use things when I'm not there. I enjoyed the job when I started but I am so bored all day every day now and have no motivation to do anything with the kids. I long for the busy day in a creche where I could easily implement a curriculum.

However, as I already left this employer I feel obliged to stay. We only recently sorted out my pay as she didnt want to pay me for annual leave etc which im legally entitled to and part of me feels I need to suck it up and get on with it. I am miserable coming in every day though and even if I was to leave, its very very difficult finding a creche that focuses on the children and not on profit. I'm very confused about what to do, does anyone have any words of wisdom for me or tips on how to try and motivate myself to be a better minder or how to spot a good creche?
Thanks for any help xo

loocyloo
23-06-2014, 11:49 AM
big hugs to you x

it is hard when you are isolated and feel alone.

do the children have no toys of their own? don't take your own in, if they get broken. ask the parents to provide some paper/crayons etc. mark making is good for the children. make some playdough using flour/salt. - The Imagination Tree (http://theimaginationtree.com/) ( lovely recipes & ideas here ) play with the pots/pans/bowls from the kitchen, build towers and ramps using books or dvd cases. roll up socks to make balls to roll down the ramps.

can you go for walks and collect natural resources, such as sticks/stones/fir cones/shells etc? these can be used for make believe/counting. I write letters and numbers on stones to play with, and have also drawn simple pictures ( and I mean simple as I can't draw! think stick man! ) to help tell stories.

I think you are also struggling as you haven't been back for long, but also if you are not happy, then maybe you should look for a job in a crèche and explainto your employer that you are sorry to leave her again, but you miss the stimulation/company of other adults and the vibrancy of lots of children. I'm sorry that Australia didn't work out for you. it is a beautiful country, but it can be lonely living that far away from family & friends ( I lived there for a few years, and even though I was with my partner, it was still lonely at times )

sorry, this reply is all a bit disjointed. can you make yourself your own 'timetable' ... ie breakfast/free play and school run. story and song time. free play. snack. adult led activity such as playing with balls/going for a walk/going to a park. lunch time. quiet/sleep time. puzzles & games/craft. snack time. free play. tea ...

can you look on facebook or netmums or ??? or put a plea out for ideas of places to go/things to do/groups to meet up with? are there any other nannies around?

take care xx

Mouse
23-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Have you thought about registering to childmind from your own home? You'll find it's completely different to the nannying you are doing now. You set your own business rules, you plan your own day, buy your own resources. It really is the opposite of everything you're dealing with now.

It can still be lonely, but you can meet up with other childminders, although your day can also be so busy that you don't have time to be lonely!

Ripeberry
23-06-2014, 01:34 PM
Sounds like you need a break from it all. Maybe try a totally different kind of job and then maybe re-train as a childminder if you have your own home? Otherwise have you thought of working in a pre-school or as a TA? Hope you find something that works for you. And as others have said, don't bring toys to the parents home. They are taking you for a ride by not giving you holidays :mad:

blue bear
23-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Hugs :group hug:

tibasaur
23-06-2014, 06:11 PM
@loocyloo
They have a lot of mismatched toys, nothing is really age appropriate, especially for the youngest child (15 months), there's nothing at all for her. I can't afford to bring in my own things as I never got to use half of them before the kids smashed them to pieces. I have very basic things like paper and crayons, and I make my own playdough and do texture play with them (jelly, rice crispies, water), we also do baking once a week. I just find it hard to bulk out the day, no matter how many activities I plan I have hours left to do nothing with because I have no cleaning duties and the 3 and 6 year old are so independent. There's nothing really in the area to bring them to either.

I do plan fun activities like going to the beach, collecting shells and painting them and all that sort of stuff but I just find I have so much extra time on my hands.
I do feel like I need a big change in scenery, I don't think any changes in my workplace would make it a place I'd enjoy being. I'm actually from Ireland, this site is the closest thing to an online resourse I could find for nannys or childminders haha I'm really trying to connect with other people and get some ideas but it's so tough.

@Mouse
I'm only 21 and I live with my parents so that's not an option unfortunately, although that is ideally what I want to do when I do have my own place.

@Ripeberry
I never thought to try a different sector for work, to be honest I wouldnt even know where to begin but I'm a little intrigued by the idea so I might just try that, thank you. Ah they didnt want to pay me for bank holidays either and they're never on time coming home. I feel totally taken advantage some times but then I also feel like they're not getting their moneys worth with me anymore cause I've completely lost my motivation.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Mouse
23-06-2014, 08:43 PM
You poor thing. It sounds very miserable for you :(

On the plus side, you're young and it sounds like you have some good experience behind you. Perhaps take a bit of time to think about what you'd really like to do. If you enjoy working with children, see what options there are down that route. Would it even be worth looking for another family? One who appreciates you and lets you get stuck in to all the activities you obviously want to do.

Or what about further training? Do you have a careers advice place you could go to? They could probably point you in the right direction :thumbsup: