PDA

View Full Version : childminders no longer need to register as a food business

mum67
18-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Thought I'd share this.
Had an email today from the environmental health to say: From your application I presume you are providing food to the children you childmind only and not running a food business from home as such? If this is the case the legislation has changed, you no longer need to register as a food business for the purpose of a childminder.

Hope it helps

Lal
18-06-2014, 04:39 PM
My understanding was that we (new childminders) would be registered as childminders providing food as part of out ofsted registration and we would still need to fill in the "safer food, better business for childminders". Hope someone can clarify.

littlebears1009
18-06-2014, 04:41 PM
It may depend on your LA as i registered with mine last week and still had to fill in all details of what I will provide and how I will store etc. New childminders are automatically registered from what they said; however I registered last year and only just starting minding really!

mum67
18-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Lal
I have copied and pasted the email as I got it, so no mention of what you say but I am still following my guide of 'safer food better business for childminders' anyway as it keeps me on my toes and I think shows good practice.
Hopefully like you say someone else may get one or can clarify, there's so much conflicting info isn't there one minute its this then its that. lol Red tape Red tape that's all my children hear me say :eek:

mum67
18-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Ringing them tomoz to ask when legislation changed, hopefully make it a little clearer.

Lal
18-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Think this explains some of it:

Food Standards Agency - Childminders (http://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/caterers/startingup/childminders/#.U6HDWihMZ-Q)

The link was on our local pacey blog (the one pacey provide as support on behalf of our LA)

mum67
18-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Thanks Lal

That does make sense now, so basically Ofsted do it for us and we carry on with the SFBBFC and may get a visit for inspection.
The email wasn't that clear really then was it?:)

Glad I posted it though to be sure on things.

wee_elf
18-06-2014, 09:11 PM
That is the way I understood it too :-)

rickysmiths
18-06-2014, 10:46 PM
Thought I'd share this.
Had an email today from the environmental health to say: From your application I presume you are providing food to the children you childmind only and not running a food business from home as such? If this is the case the legislation has changed, you no longer need to register as a food business for the purpose of a childminder.

Hope it helps

That is actually not true. The way new childminders are registered has changed. Nor has the legislation changed. I would ring and speak to them because they have to register you.

Ofsted now inform your local Environmental Health Dept. I actually have been Registered as a Food Business with mine for five years now and I had a letter from them last month saying they had been informed by Ofsted that I was now a childminder and would I fill in a return the enclosed forms!!! I have been a cm for 20 years :laughing:

Simona
19-06-2014, 06:25 AM
Thought I'd share this.

Hope it helps

It must be maddening for CMs when LAs various depts seem unaware of what is going on or decide to do things differently

Maybe useful returning this information to whoever emailed you and copy your EY dept in...surely it is up to them to inform CMs and sign post them to the changes

Ofsted | Memorandum of understanding between Ofsted and the Food Standards Agency (FSA) (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/memorandum-of-understanding-between-ofsted-and-food-standards-agency-fsa)

mum67
20-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Update-I emailed and pointed out the link from Lal and asked "Just checking but doesn't the info on the link mean we still have to be registered but it is Ofsted who do it for us if registered after 1st Jan 2014 and here's the reply:

You are right to check these things. I have asked an Environmental Health Officer if this is the case and he believes that you are right and Ofsted should register on your behalf. To be on the safe side I will just double check with the Manager of Food Safety tomorrow and let you know for sure.

Thanks for the replies everyone