PDA

View Full Version : First aid about to run out before course starts - advice please

Kiddleywinks
18-06-2014, 03:09 PM
Grrrr @ my LA

My first aid is due to expire next month
In January, asked my DO if I could do the last available course date in March and was told no, it was too soon, and I'd have to wait till nearer the time as these courses do get very busy.
That's fine I guess, priority should be given to people with an earlier expiry date, but when I asked when the next course would be was told it would fall in the new financial year and as yet they have no confirmed start dates.
Ok thinks I, new financial year is april, I run out in July, loads of time to get it booked in yes?

WRONG!

Mid March, email goes out, there's a space available on the March course any takers?
YES, ME! No sorry, you'll have to wait, but there's space, yes but for someone whose FA runs out earlier.
If no takers will you let me know, I can do it. Yes of course. Great.
Didn't hear a thing.
Spoke to someone that was on that same course, as it includes preschools, nurseries etc. There were 8 spaces, and 3 people!! Are you freaking kidding me??! :angry:

End of April, still no word from the LA as to next course dates
Contact 1st week in May - 'erm, we don't know, nothing's been confirmed yet, we'll know by the end of the week
End of the week comes and goes
End of the next week comes and goes.
Call again last week of May, any news? No, not yet, will chase it up and get back to you.

2 days later receive a blanket email
Funding has been withdrawn, we now have to pay for First aid

Well ok, I kinda saw that one coming way back in January (another reason for trying to get on the March date lol)
When is the next course, when and how do I pay?

Don't know, don't know and erm.... don't know!
When will you know?
Soon
You said that in May!

Called again today as still not heard anything, and I now have a month to get something sorted.
Oh, was just going to email you -
Course starts the day AFTER my certificate runs out!!!

So, if I book onto the LA course, do I need to inform OFSTED I'm booked on but will have run out for a period of 2 weeks?
DO says I don't need to and so long as I'm booked on and can prove that, it's fine
She also says that if there aren't enough people, it will not be cancelled.
My concern is, God Forbid, if I was to have an unannounced visit (not planning on, inspection was a few months ago, all is well as far as I know in the Kiddleywinks household) and they say I should have let them know and I didn't I would not be a happy bunny.

You'll understand why I'm not taking her word.... Did I tell you we clash?! :laughing:

Tazmin68
18-06-2014, 06:26 PM
I was under the impression that you should not be able to mind until your new certificate starts as insurance would also be invalid. We have had to pay towards our LA first aid for about 2 years now which is why on my last one I paid more are did it through St. John's ambulance

Rick
18-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Same as Tamsin. I did mine through St Johns Ambulance. Are there any other providers running a course? If your LA cancels again you won't be able to work. It sounds like they can't be trusted

Simona
18-06-2014, 07:10 PM
Grrrr @ my LA

My first aid is due to expire next month
In January, asked my DO if I could do the last available course date in March and was told no, it was too soon, and I'd have to wait till nearer the time as these courses do get very busy.
That's fine I guess, priority should be given to people with an earlier expiry date, but when I asked when the next course would be was told it would fall in the new financial year and as yet they have no confirmed start dates.
Ok thinks I, new financial year is april, I run out in July, loads of time to get it booked in yes?

WRONG!

Mid March, email goes out, there's a space available on the March course any takers?
YES, ME! No sorry, you'll have to wait, but there's space, yes but for someone whose FA runs out earlier.
If no takers will you let me know, I can do it. Yes of course. Great.
Didn't hear a thing.
Spoke to someone that was on that same course, as it includes preschools, nurseries etc. There were 8 spaces, and 3 people!! Are you freaking kidding me??! :angry:

End of April, still no word from the LA as to next course dates
Contact 1st week in May - 'erm, we don't know, nothing's been confirmed yet, we'll know by the end of the week
End of the week comes and goes
End of the next week comes and goes.
Call again last week of May, any news? No, not yet, will chase it up and get back to you.

2 days later receive a blanket email
Funding has been withdrawn, we now have to pay for First aid

Well ok, I kinda saw that one coming way back in January (another reason for trying to get on the March date lol)
When is the next course, when and how do I pay?

Don't know, don't know and erm.... don't know!
When will you know?
Soon
You said that in May!

Called again today as still not heard anything, and I now have a month to get something sorted.
Oh, was just going to email you -
Course starts the day AFTER my certificate runs out!!!

So, if I book onto the LA course, do I need to inform OFSTED I'm booked on but will have run out for a period of 2 weeks?
DO says I don't need to and so long as I'm booked on and can prove that, it's fine
She also says that if there aren't enough people, it will not be cancelled.
My concern is, God Forbid, if I was to have an unannounced visit (not planning on, inspection was a few months ago, all is well as far as I know in the Kiddleywinks household) and they say I should have let them know and I didn't I would not be a happy bunny.

You'll understand why I'm not taking her word.... Did I tell you we clash?! :laughing:

There was a similar thread by another member recently whose course overlapped her expiry date...in the end she called Ofsted and they said it was ok...
I am sure someone will remember where it is in the forum?

F/A courses are in short supply...either we do one well in advance of the expiry date or risk running out

Kiddleywinks
18-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I thought - no first aid = no minding, so I was very surprised when she said, no it's fine so long as you can prove you're booked onto a course.
Not a happy bunny :-(

I know the courses no longer have to be LA approved, but is there something else I should be checking other than 12 hour paediatric?

Kiddleywinks
18-06-2014, 07:21 PM
There was a similar thread by another member recently whose course overlapped her expiry date...in the end she called Ofsted and they said it was ok...
I am sure someone will remember where it is in the forum?

Ooo, I will try to find the thread and call them (Ofsted) in the morning to double check, thanks Simona :thumbsup:

F/A courses are in short supply...either we do one well in advance of the expiry date or risk running out

I was happy to do mine 4 months early, precisely so I didn't end up in the position I'm now in! Problem was the LA refused to let me do it that far in advance, and now I know there was no valid reason (in my eyes at least) for them to do this when there were indeed empty places available.

Simona
18-06-2014, 07:37 PM
Ooo, I will try to find the thread and call them (Ofsted) in the morning to double check, thanks Simona :thumbsup:

I was happy to do mine 4 months early, precisely so I didn't end up in the position I'm now in! Problem was the LA refused to let me do it that far in advance, and now I know there was no valid reason (in my eyes at least) for them to do this when there were indeed empty places available.

Good luck with Ofsted!!!

Does your LA charge for F/A? if so remember you can now do the training anywhere you like and maybe find a course before your expiry date?

Let us know how you get on with your call...this is something the representing associations should be aware of and maybe put on courses for us although Red Cross or St John's Ambulance are very good
As if we don't have enough to worry about...:angry:

blue bear
18-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Tigerlily Training - paediatric first aid courses for ofsted registration (http://www.tigerlilytraining.co.uk/)

My friend did hers through them, you only attend one day and do the other part online on your own time

rickysmiths
18-06-2014, 10:38 PM
If you ring Ofsted and explain they should be fine as long as you are booked on a course fairly soon. The key is to tell Ofsted what has happened rather than them finding out if you see what I mean.

Simona
19-06-2014, 06:38 AM
Kiddleywinks....The thread I mentioned about First Aid expiring can be found in this section...it was started by Starfish007 on 31 May....

if you find it you will see she rang Ofsted who were satisfied because she had already booked her new course

Rick
19-06-2014, 11:31 AM
Kiddleywinks....The thread I mentioned about First Aid expiring can be found in this section...it was started by Starfish007 on 31 May....

if you find it you will see she rang Ofsted who were satisfied because she had already booked her new course

Here you go

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/general-childminding-chat/131257-ofsted-due-first-aid-invalid-3-day-period-advice-please.html

Kiddleywinks
19-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys

Well, I called ofsted - as helpful as ever :-/

The bottom line is I 'would be breaking the EYFS requirements if I was to continue minding without a valid first aid certificate'

So, off on a first aid hunt I must go.
Thanks for the link, unfortunately my nearest venue is on a day I can't attend, but I have bookmarked the company for 3 years time lol

Simona
19-06-2014, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys

Well, I called ofsted - as helpful as ever :-/

The bottom line is I 'would be breaking the EYFS requirements if I was to continue minding without a valid first aid certificate'

So, off on a first aid hunt I must go.
Thanks for the link, unfortunately my nearest venue is on a day I can't attend, but I have bookmarked the company for 3 years time lol

That is so utterly ridiculous...one person at Ofsted gives one advice ....the next says the opposite
I do feel for you...have you told your association and see what they could do?

It is well saying we can shop around and not have to go the LA route for F/A training and another having to hunt for a provider whose venue can be miles away and dates not suitable
I would still pursue this with your LA...put a bit of pressure on them

Good luck and keep us posted

alex__17
19-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Our LA dont offer first aid but give a list of approved providers instead all very variable in price.
There were a few that did one to one in your home which worked better for me as I could pick the date and didn't have to drive miles, was one of the cheaper ones too, the company did lots of work type qualifications

Kiddleywinks
19-06-2014, 06:45 PM
I agree the inconsistency is absurd.
It shouldn't depend on who answers the phone as to what answer you get.
However, what he said was correct according to the 'rules' so I accept it

I also understand that I was wrong to even attempt to rely on my LA, they've been a let down for a while now.
On that basis, I should have been more proactive myself in sourcing a course between March when I originally started looking and now, despite believing there would be at least one course between March and July....?!
It won't happen again, so lesson learnt lol

NinkyNonk
20-06-2014, 07:28 AM
My LA does the same - they give you a list of 'approved' companies doing the training. Not sure where you are, but I know of childminders near me who train with British Red Cross, and they normally do weekends so you're not having time off. I think if you searched for Ofsted approved first aid courses, you might then find some which can get you on earlier. Hope you get it sorted. x