PDA

View Full Version : Do parents have to sign attendance register?

Maza
18-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Hi all,

Do parents have to sign the attendance register at the end of the day/week? I do get mine to do it as I know it used to be a legal requirement, but is it still a legal requirement? One parent hasn't signed for last week (just because we were distracted, oops) and it just made me think, that's all.

rickysmiths
18-06-2014, 12:42 PM
It is not and never has been a legal requirement in England. The only legal requirement is that you have an accurate record of when a child attends your setting.

I do get my parents to sign the register weekly because I think it safeguards me from allegations because by signing the parent is confirming the exact times and days their child was with me.

As they are confirming Days and times when they sign it saves arguments if there is a question over late fees etc.

It also saved the day when a parent complained to Ofsted about me. I was able to send Ofsted a copy of the child's page from the register and show the parent was telling lies. The Complaint was not upheld. It would have been more difficult if I had not been able to prove I had informed the parent by the fact they had signed the register. You just never know.

Mouse
18-06-2014, 12:49 PM
No, it's not a legal requirement, although some people view it as good practice.

Simona
19-06-2014, 06:31 AM
Hi all,

Do parents have to sign the attendance register at the end of the day/week? I do get mine to do it as I know it used to be a legal requirement, but is it still a legal requirement? One parent hasn't signed for last week (just because we were distracted, oops) and it just made me think, that's all.

You have to record children's attendance but there is no requirement for parents' signature
The attendance record will be useful when you provide 'funded hours' and your LA audit you...that is what they need to see in case the child does not attend and your LA has a policy where you refund them

One thing that I have always done due to being told in a training course when I first came into childcare years ago is to record the time of arrival and departure...and yes those details will cover any accidents, investigations and safeguarding issues