PDA

View Full Version : Chasing up a parent

Snowwhite
17-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Had a parent visit yesterday afternoon and mum seemed really keen to use me from the word go (plus we had chatted a lot before hand via email) and was happy with everything,including the fees, and she thanked me for being able to help out with childcare as she really wanted to get it sorted.I mentioned a deposit will need to be payed to secure the place and then contract signed. Thought 1 day & 1 evening on i would have heard off her in regards to getting the deposit to me.Usually a parent is quick with that as they want to secure the place.
I know mum worked today but wasn't working yesterday or this eve.Do you think its too soon to contact her & bring up subject of deposit or wait a while longer to see if she contacts me? If you think i should contact her then what would be the right way to approach it? Thanks

Kiddleywinks
17-06-2014, 11:30 PM
When was she looking at care starting?

I'll be honest, I don't actively chase up parents once they (and child) have been to see me and received all my bumpf.
I leave it with them to get back to me, but let them know I work on a first come first served basis, so if they decide to go with someone else, I would really appreciate a quick call or a text just to let me know, as I have someone else coming (in a few days - I allow at least 3 days from their visit day)

I've always been contacted within the week if it's a yes, so if it's longer, that's my time limit to move on and accept I've lost them.

It's a big decision to make to be fair, and she may have arranged several appointments in the space of a week. You may have been the first, in which case 1 day and 1 night isn't very long, or you may have been last, in which case she may be struggling to make a decision between you and somewhere else.

Hope she comes back to you :thumbsup:

hectors house
18-06-2014, 06:53 AM
If I have an e-mail address or mobile number, I generally e-mail or text them a message the evening that they visited, thanking them for coming, telling them to contact me if they have any more questions and reminding them the place is available to who ever pays a deposit first. Maybe she was seeing some other childminders or Nurseries but hopefully she will let you know soon.:thumbsup:

Snowwhite
18-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Thanks.Its from the start of Sept she needs the childcare.I don't think she was seeing anyone else as she said they had seen another CM but she's at the age where she's looking to slow it all down with what she does with the kids & how many she has,and for those reasons mum seemed pleased that i could do it as i am the opposite to the other CM and still local for her.I can't be 100% sure she didn't have anyone else to see as i didn't get that impression plus mum would have been working.Perhaps she doesn't realise the deposit needs to be payed quite quickly.I have charged over £200 for a deposit ( i deducted it from what would be part of Septembers fee) Mum did say she could see if she could get a loan off a family member for it,due to having payed a nursery fee as her daughter currently attends a nursery. Wondering if i should have just said £100 for a deposit, but i need it to be a reasonable amount & mum didn't grumble about the amount when i told her

Kiddleywinks
18-06-2014, 07:19 AM
I take a 4 week deposit, which is then used to the last 4 weeks of a contract.

If a parent is struggling, I may offer to spread the amount over an extended period, but I never reduce the overall fee - it's my security blanket :laughing:
Maybe you could send a follow up text like Hector said, and add that you've had a little think and if it would help, you would be happy to spread the deposit payment to £x amount per week between now and September?