PDA

View Full Version : SEF HELP Please!

hectors house
17-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I'm really stuck on Section 3 - How the early years provider meets the needs of the range of children who attend.

I have Sarah's e book and prompt list but just can't explain why I do what I do - I could list all the activities I do and resources/toys I have and what areas of learning these support with a mix of Adult and child led learning but that would take forever - I'm no good at concise!

Just wondered if someone who has recently completed or updated their SEF would mind sharing a few lines of this section to give me an idea of how to phrase it.

Also I have been trying to type things on a word document and then copy and paste into the SEF and those little boxes that you have to scroll up and down are doing in my head as well as my eye sight. Going to get a large G & T now! :D

hectors house
18-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Gosh 33 people have viewed my post and no one feels they can offer any help - does that mean that they haven't done their SEF either or that people aren't as helpful on the forum as they used to be?

rickysmiths
18-06-2014, 12:47 PM
I don't do a SEF never have and never will. Sorry.

k-tots
18-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Would bullet points be better...I read somewhere just put points down like that that way it to the point and precise x

cockatoos
18-06-2014, 12:54 PM
I haven't done my SEF for a bit but would write something along the lines of I observe children closely, work out what their interests and next steps are, and plan activities accordingly.

I also wrote about how I changed the environment to support children developmental stage eg 2 children were beginning to pull to stand and cruise around so I cleared some shelves, made directory were attached firmly to the wall and put interesting things on said shelves to encourage then to stand and explore. Mrs O had read my SEF before she came and said 'oh are those the shelves you wrote about in your SEF?'.

I put loads of examples in my SEF to illustrate what I had said.

Not sure that's helpful but hope it is!

loocyloo
18-06-2014, 12:55 PM
I need to update my SEF ... but life keeps getting in the way!

The last time I updated I think I just wrote a long list but it was about 18 mths ago!

QualityCare
18-06-2014, 01:14 PM
That is what l would put, start off with childs starting points how you plan accordingly how you adapt activity to meet needs of all children how you observe the children and next steps are activities child or adult led, what would you do if child not developing as expected,do you plan for all areas of learning.
l havn't up dated mine for several years if l do l bet l can't remember this.

Simona
18-06-2014, 01:34 PM
I'm really stuck on Section 3 - How the early years provider meets the needs of the range of children who attend.

I have Sarah's e book and prompt list but just can't explain why I do what I do - I could list all the activities I do and resources/toys I have and what areas of learning these support with a mix of Adult and child led learning but that would take forever - I'm no good at concise!

Just wondered if someone who has recently completed or updated their SEF would mind sharing a few lines of this section to give me an idea of how to phrase it.

Also I have been trying to type things on a word document and then copy and paste into the SEF and those little boxes that you have to scroll up and down are doing in my head as well as my eye sight. Going to get a large G & T now! :D

The SEF has a prompt list you can download to follow what they want you to focus on

It refers you to development requirements in EYFS page 4-12
It mentions EYO in the Evaluation schedule (page 6-11) and your teaching strategies in
- how you promote L&D
- meet individual needs...for instance additional needs, bilinguism, SEN etc...I would also include culture
- enjoyment in learning
- starting points

You can mention CoEL and your expectations of children's achievements
observations and your assessment
individual planning
working with parents

Does it help?

hectors house
18-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions, it's all starting to make a bit more sense now, I think I will try to do it tomorrow on my day off as I'm just too tired to think straight by the evening. I haven't had an inspection since March 09 (so 5 years, 3 months) but another minder in our town who had her last inspection 4 1/2 years ago was inspected again last week and not as a result of a complaint or having satisfactory last time - just a routine inspection - so I am really on borrowed time now! :panic:

loocyloo
18-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions, it's all starting to make a bit more sense now, I think I will try to do it tomorrow on my day off as I'm just too tired to think straight by the evening. I haven't had an inspection since March 09 (so 5 years, 3 months) but another minder in our town who had her last inspection 4 1/2 years ago was inspected again last week and not as a result of a complaint or having satisfactory last time - just a routine inspection - so I am really on borrowed time now! :panic:

I am really feeling I ought to do mine as I'm at 5yrs 8mths now!

hectors house
18-06-2014, 08:56 PM
I am really feeling I ought to do mine as I'm at 5yrs 8mths now!

Don't under estimate how long it will take you as it's changed from the one you would have done for your last inspection!

loocyloo
19-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Thanks ... I did update about 18 mths ago ... But just never seem to have had the time since! It is top of my to do list!