PDA

View Full Version : jumping at the wrong conclusion?

bernesewalking
17-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Can I have your views on this please or am I over reacting!

Last year I did some emergency holiday cover for a parent as their childminder was on holiday, they lived 30 mins away but were happy to travel back and forth, now the parent has moved to a village nearer to me and in April she asked if I could help out, at the time I could not, but things changed and I was then able to, we signed contracts in May to start September when the oldest child is able to move schools, now she has a profile on childcare.co.uk and it's really bugging me that she keeps logging into it at least twice a week (I sound like a stalker!) she hasn't changed the profile to having found someone either, it's just worrying me now that she is just making do with me until she finds someone else, I have turned 2 people away since signing with her. Do I some how ask her? Do I leave it? Or do I try and get in there first and give notice before she does as I can get back to the others who rang me. Sorry if this sounds pathetic!

Kiddleywinks
17-06-2014, 09:20 PM
You're not being pathetic lol, concerned, yes, worried even, but not pathetic.

First off, has she paid a deposit for the start in September?
Usually, when money changes hands it kind of confirms to me that at least the parent is committed to the contract we've signed.
If the answer is no, then I would contact parent, confirm the place is still required, and ask that the deposit be paid by the end of this week/next week/this month - assuming of course you do take a deposit...?
If you don't usually take a deposit (why on earth not? lol), you could say you're calling to confirm start date is still on, and maybe suggest some dates for 'get to know everyone' sessions
At least that way you have made contact, and will find out one way or another if you actually do have a new starter in September.

Secondly, it's that time of year when childminders step up their advertising. I know from the facebook page there are a lot of people going gold on childcare.co.uk, either because they've just won a discounted fee, for the new additional training, or because they have children leaving from the end of term due to starting school in September, so it could be that the parent is receiving an influx of messages from new gold members utilising their new status.
As you know, you get an email if you've been viewed, or been sent a message, so natural curiosity would make parent log on to see what's what.

Finally, not all parents change their profile when their needs have changed, annoyingly so, it would after all stop other minders contacting them if they knew they already found someone

bernesewalking
17-06-2014, 09:39 PM
Thanks for your reply, I normally take a deposit but as I have done the odd holiday cover here and there with them I didn't bother this time, plus the children know me now so don't really need to do settling in either, Maybe a big mistake, there aren't many childminders in my area now, lots have given up lately, the only thing is she is having nannys contacting her as there are a few of those about and she did advertise for either cm or nanny, I just get this odd feeling about it but may be I am just over reacting!

Kiddleywinks
17-06-2014, 09:51 PM
If neither of you have been in contact with the other since signing contracts, it wouldn't hurt to just give mum a quick call to 'check in'
Are they all settled in now?
How's the older one getting on at school?
Are they registered with new doctors (do you have correct details in child record forms, contact details, emergency contacts etc)
Can't wait/looking forward to starting children in September, are they still happy with the start date or do they need holiday cover? Inset day at school maybe?

Don't need to wade in with I see you're still on CC.co.uk are you coming to me or not kind of thing ;):laughing:

If your gut is making you have a wobble, then tactfully check all is well, and at least you'll be able to put your mind at rest and parent knows you haven't forgotten about them.

mama2three
18-06-2014, 05:58 AM
Id take the cowards way out and log in and view her profile oncc.couk , that way she 'knows' you 'know'

bernesewalking
18-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Id take the cowards way out and log in and view her profile oncc.couk , that way she 'knows' you 'know'

I am ashamed to say I did that last night too! :blush:

rickysmiths
18-06-2014, 01:16 PM
I must say I always take a 4 weeks fee Deposit which she would loose if she didn't start the Contract I also always do 4 weeks settling in during which both parties can give notice but if the parents do they loose their Deposit.

I have a parent who started with me at the end of Feb and she was still logging on to Childcare.co nearly everyday to start with and had not changed her requirements. Maybe someone got in touch with her and she had to log in to send them a message?