PDA

View Full Version : How long did you wait for your 1st mindie?

covgalxxx
17-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Yes how long I got registered in march this year, but nothing had 1parent come round, but she wanted more space for her child , (my living room is my playroom, have no back room,)1 ring say they wanted to meet only to change her mind before I meet, and 2 calls if I was a nursery, I'm up in my local shops the baby group I go to, all over the internet have a website and a Facebook page, and I'm on childcare, the woman that did come round was from childcare, I know its a waiting game just wondering how long other people waited.. Xx

CookieCutter
17-06-2014, 05:00 PM
I waited 4 months for my first, then got my second within 2 weeks from the first! I was getting so desperate that I had gone for interviews for jobs I didn't want because I didn't think this was going to work out for me. I think it was down to nerves, but after a while I stopped getting nervous because I had done parent meetings so many times I knew what to expect. I finally starting appearing confident and relaxed and I started getting business!

loocyloo
17-06-2014, 05:10 PM
When I moved it was the beginning of April and my first mindee started mid july for 5hrs one day a week. Next mindees started middle sept and I was full of EY by the december. I didn't have any schoolies until the following September.

Kiddleywinks
17-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Registered December
First child signed in the July, 2nd in August, 3rd in September, 4th, 5th and 6th the following January, and still they keep coming lol (I now have 9 on my books, but about to lose 2 due to starting school :( I hate this bit)

I had 18 visits, and over 40 enquiries before my first one signed.
I started thinking there was something seriously wrong with me! Even changed my perfume, to see if that mattered lol - it didn't ;)

Borrow a niece/nephew/friends little one and go to some groups, be seen out and about, get some business cards and carry some with you at all times, give one to everyone that shows even the smallest interest when you mention you're a childminder (Vista print are nice and cheap)

You're probably sick of hearing it, but getting the first one is the hardest, after that, it gets a lot easier :thumbsup:

Maza
18-06-2014, 11:00 AM
I had quite a few enquiries before I was quite ready to go (loads of people I knew just happened to be finishing maternity leave, so it was word of mouth). A couple of years later though I had three months without any mindees and it was stressful. I had four parents in a row visit me and then not use me for various reasons - I was starting to get paranoid! Are you on FIS? That's where most of my enquiries come from. Word of mouth really is great, so get out and about and make sure everyone knows you are a childminder.

tulip0803
18-06-2014, 01:15 PM
First time I registered I had a family waiting with 2 children aged 3 & 6.

After moving and re-registering in Wales I got my first within 2 weeks for 6 hours once a week, My next came 6 months later just as the first gave notice due to Mum changing job! Also 6 hours once a week:rolleyes:

I had to work part-time and it took about 2 years to fill the spaces around my other job and another 2 to be able to give up the other job and start childminding full-time. Just had no enquiries or silly ones but did coincide with the crash:(

covgalxxx
18-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys least I know it's not me, yes I go to baby groups with my own daughter she is 18 months , and the 1st thing I did was put my name on the FIS, I guess its harder for me as I moved from my home town 4 years ago here is still new I don't have friends to pass my name around , my partner lived here all his life so been on his Facebook sharing my Facebook page around, I even made posters stuck them on route to school as 2 mins from me, have seen a lot of parents look at it way to school, saffy's little angels all over the internet, in the local shops window