PDA

View Full Version : is 4months too young for weaning?

ziggy
17-06-2014, 11:49 AM
I have been minding lovely baby for a month now. I was away last week, baby came today and mummy asks me to give her 2 spoons baby rice at lunch time feed. Baby bit upset today, which is so unlike her. When she was due for feed i made up rice and bottle. Baby was crying quite alot at this time but thought it may well be that she is teething. She took rice then crying increased. Text mummy for permission to give calpol. She wouldnt take bottle for a while and was clearly in pain. After a while she obviously had wind. She then took all of bottle and is now laughing and her usual happy self.

Mummy asked do i think it is the food? I do think it is bit early. She takes four 7oz bottles through the day, sleeps all night, is happy, content and growing well.

May print off some things about baby led weaning for mummy

Thoughts please

Ripeberry
17-06-2014, 12:00 PM
If the baby is happy to drink the milk then she doesn't need the rice. I on the other hand have a five month old who refuses milk! They had to start weaning her at 3 months as she would not take anything. Mum breastfed but dried up as the baby would not feed. Tried every formula under the sun, even special milks. But she hates it all! Only discovered that she likes those puffed carrot sticks from Organix and apple juice. Still a struggle to get her to eat jar food as spits most of it back out. Have some success with hiding milk in mashed banana and rusks. She is only the size of a 3 month old and weighs 13lbs at 5 months. But her parents are both only 5 foot and a couple of inches, so maybe that's why she eats so little?
Apart from that she is very active and inquisitive :)

loocyloo
19-06-2014, 08:48 PM
when I was a baby I wouldn't breast feed, nor would I drink any milks offered! eventually I was given diluted evaporated milk! ( love it to this day! ) and was weaned early. I was prem and my mum was told that was why I wouldn't/couldn't feed.

however ... it was over 40 years ago!

it sounds to me ziggy, that your LO doesn't need the baby rice yet.

good luck both xx

rickysmiths
19-06-2014, 09:30 PM
Both mine were weaned at 13-14 weeks 20 years ago with no ill effects in fact they and all their friends didn't have an allergy between them, no digestive problems they have all grown into healthy adults.