PDA

View Full Version : Buggies, buggies everywhere!!!

LittleStars
26-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Need some advice...

Recently I have only had 2 smallies needing buggies and both of their parents have been leaving their buggies at my house during the day. Ive been really relaxed about it but its starting to cause a bit of a problem in that we don't have a hallway so they are in the front room (which isn't huge). From september I have another 3 small part timers starting who Im guessing are going to want to leave buggies at mine too.. (it will be 2 or 3 buggies a day).

a) they are taking up valuable play space
b) they are causing a health and safetly problem
c) they are obstructing the main exit
d) they are a pain in the you know where as I have to shuffle them all around to get out the house!

Now if they were maclaren type strollers then it would be better as I could fold them up and tuck them somewhere (not sure where) out of the way.. but we are talking mountain buggies, single phil n teds and buggaboos....

Im planning on starting a newsletter from September and thought I might put a bit in that about asking parents to take buggies home, leave them in the car or if they MUST bring a buggy then it needs to be a stroller (like a maclaren).

I guess what Im asking is do you think this is unreasonable?

And how do I word it in a newsletter? I obv need to say about taking up the space your children have to play in and health and safetly but how do I do it without upsetting everyone?

Thanks
Jen

LittleAcorns
26-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Difficult situation which I completely understand, I only have one baby who comes in their own buggy, which I leave by the porch with their rain cover on....or they take it home....I too dont have the room, do you have a garage or porch?? could you keep thm the garden under Tarpaulin??? xxx

Pudding Girl
26-07-2008, 10:54 PM
I have it in my policies that they are welcome to leave them in my back garden with raincover on but I will not accept responsibility for stolen items. No-ones left one yet anyway, it's just my 5 buggies that clog up the place!! oops sorry 4 - got rid of the tandem on Freecycle!

Bushpig
26-07-2008, 11:22 PM
I have a single and a double buggy of my own I use. Parents don't bring their kids in their own buggies and leave the buggy. I just would not have the space.

Explain to them for health and safety reasons you cannot have theirs in your home. Or they need to be able to be able to close them if they leave them at your place.

FizzysFriends
27-07-2008, 07:41 AM
I'd ask them to leave them in the garden or leave them at home.

crazybones
27-07-2008, 07:57 AM
I have the same problem. I cant leave them out front and dont want them out back. It is starting to annoy hubby now which is good because he has promised after our hols we can save up to have doors put on the porch so they can be folded up and left in there.

manjay
27-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Not sure on this one as I only ever use my own buggys. I wouldn't want children's own prams around my house. I am sure parents will understand

LittleStars
27-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Im going to say umbrella folding buggies only from september or they will have to chain them in the front garden with a cover (can't imagine anyone doing that with their buggaboo :eek: )

We don't have a porch or a garage and the front and back gardens are very small (we live in a London terrace) so really can't be doing with them all over the place, at least if they are umbrella ones I can put them up in my bedroom or somewhere out the way.

Jen

Donkey
28-07-2008, 10:54 AM
this is something I would not have thought of had you not mentioned it, think I better put it in my health and safety policies

i have no idea where I am going to pu my minding buggies as it is!
let alone parents leaving theirs...

Mags
28-07-2008, 11:24 AM
reading this had made me think.....i have a single and a double pushchair of my own which fold up nicely. one mum does quite often leave a buggy (depends whether or not they come br car). Must admit it does annoy me a bit...especially when she just wheels it in all wet and dirty and then plonks the wheels leaning against my walls when she has folded it. Grrrrrr.

Next week i have a 13 week old baby starting and i'm sure her mum will leave her in her buggywith her being so tiny. The thing is it's one of these huge bulky things and i can already see problems arrising if it does stay with us.:(

Bushpig
28-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Will you actually need the buggy whilst you are childminding her? If not, I would ask her not to leave it, pure and simple. Say it's a health and safety hazard, they won't argue with that ;)

miffy
28-07-2008, 11:34 AM
I only use my own buggies.

Why do the parents leave their buggies with you? Do they think you need them for their children or is it because they've walked to you or because they haven't thought to take them away with them?

I think I'd have a word with each parent individually and just say that you haven't got the space to store them and it's a h&S issue if they are in the lounge.

Good luck - hope you get it sorted

Miffy xx

Bushpig
28-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Im going to say umbrella folding buggies only from september or they will have to chain them in the front garden with a cover (can't imagine anyone doing that with their buggaboo :eek: )

We don't have a porch or a garage and the front and back gardens are very small (we live in a London terrace) so really can't be doing with them all over the place, at least if they are umbrella ones I can put them up in my bedroom or somewhere out the way.

Jen

Hey Jen, I am also in (Greater) London, in Wimbledon, by the Common :) *Jen waves to her neighbour* :clapping:

Mags
28-07-2008, 11:43 AM
No i wouldn't actually need it...i have all i need here already.It's just that when parents do arrive with buggies they then carry on straight to work usually. Can't see a way of getting round that one really. Any ideas?

miffy
28-07-2008, 11:50 AM
No i wouldn't actually need it...i have all i need here already.It's just that when parents do arrive with buggies they then carry on straight to work usually. Can't see a way of getting round that one really. Any ideas?

Well depends on how they're travelling - if they come by car they can fold up the buggy and put it in the boot. If they are on foot you could say they could leave buggy in the garden with raincover over it but you can't accept any responsibility for loss or damage.

Miffy xx

Mollymop
28-07-2008, 12:06 PM
Probably best to ask the parents not to bring them anymore if they can help it, if not then to leave the buggys outside, like others have suggested.

If it is becoming a pain in the butt now, don't wait until september, tell them as soon as possible, surely they will be ok with it. After all it is your house and you have everyones safety to think about.

LittleStars
28-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Waves to Jen :)

Im away for all of August...hence the september change of rules (have been really jammy this year as have just had 2 full timers leave to move abroad, so my 3 part timers I have at the moment the parents don't work and 2 were fine about me having the month off and the other is going to be minded by a cm chum for aug..so me and the kids are going off travelling FOR A WHOLE MONTH...whats even better is I have 3 newbies starting in Sept! ) Can't believe it has all worked out so well.

Will put the buggy rules in my newsletter when I get back.

Jen

miffy
28-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Ooooo lucky you - a whole month travelling!

Have lots of fun and don't forget us :)

Miffy xx

Mollymop
28-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Have fun!!!!

Mags
28-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Ohhh lucky you...a whole month bet you can,t wait!

Think i will do as you suggest Miffy and ask them to either leave them in the garden or not bring them at all. (just can,t help feeling mean....i will just have to toughen up!)