PDA

View Full Version : Holiday time advice please

JoO2008
16-06-2014, 09:20 PM
I have been childminding for 2.5 years and so far have had term time only contracts by looking after teachers' kids.
I started minding a friend's baby a few months ago on a very casual 'as and when' basis as she is self employed, and we are going to firm up arrangements in September when I have two new kiddies starting.
One of them will be a term time only contract so I will do my usual thing, but the other one is all year round so what do I do about holidays? Ideally I would want them to take hols in school holiday time so I get more time with my son, so can I tempt them by saying full fee if they have holiday in term time and half fee if they take holiday in school holiday time? Or just say 4 weeks at half fee, and full fee if it's any longer?
Obviously will charge full fee on bank holidays and double if they attend.
Please help as I need to get contracts done in a few weeks' time!
Thank you

line6
17-06-2014, 06:27 AM
I think an incentive to take school holiday holidays is a great idea.

tulip0803
17-06-2014, 07:36 AM
My friend offers free holidays during school holidays and full fee in term time, this works well for her as she budgets for none over the holidays and any she has is a bonus. She has many parents with local family who are willing to do a few weeks in the holidays.

However when I used a childminder when mine were little it would have been cheaper for me to take holidays (going away) out of school holidays and pay the childminder full than go away in school holidays because of the price hike. IYSWIM.

I am happy to work the holidays

mama2three
17-06-2014, 07:38 AM
You can do whatever you choose as long as its reflected in your contracts and parents agree.

Parent holiday here is full fee , no fee when Im off.........but if you can afford to and would like the extra time without this child then offering a further 50% discount for time off during school holidays sounds ideal.

An alternative is to stick to being term time only...but for this one client tell them that they can just use the days they need in the holidays..as long as booked in and paid in advance ..this way you get the bonus of additional time off and they are more likely to take time off if they aren't paying for the place.
remember you get to take all your own holidays too so nothing to stop you booking time off with your son in the school hols...