PDA

View Full Version : Toying with the idea of moving. Any Cumbrian Childminders here?

Kiddleywinks
16-06-2014, 07:55 AM
It's an idea we've been toying with, but this weekend it's been a much bigger discussion, and is definitely heading to the possibility of doing so.
DS has to finish high school first, so college could be up there, DD's looking at going to Uni up there next year so will be well settled in already.

We've spent time in Whitehaven, Broughton, Cockermouth, Carlisle and my brothers recently bought a house in Dalston so will be spending time there now too, so we know what's available to do pretty much all along the A595 :laughing:

What we don't know about so much, is whether there's enough work for another childminder.
Childcare.co.uk only have 103 childminders listed which surprised me.
Rates seem to be about £4 an hour, which is what I'm already charging, so no major change there.

I'm sure there will be more questions, but if anyone can answer these I'd be very grateful:
Is there an area that currently needs childminders?
How well supported are you guys?
Are there enough groups that welcome childminders where you are?
Is there enough training on offer?

Thanks in advance

Kiddleywinks
17-06-2014, 07:25 AM
43 lookers, and no answers :-(

If you would prefer to pm me, so you don't disclose your location, I'd be happy with that :laughing:

JKL
17-06-2014, 07:43 AM
I'm not in Cumbria I'm afraid but I didn't want to just read and run. Hope someone comes along soon to answer your questions x

jackie 7
17-06-2014, 07:45 AM
Can you go oh their fis. If there is one to contact a local cm.

loocyloo
17-06-2014, 09:16 AM
I know my sister in laws sister lives in North cumbria and couldn't find child care when her children were little.
I am sure there is/was a minder from Cumbria on the forum. When we were considering moving I did contact a childminder via childcare.co.uk to ask about viability etc.
Good luck, it's a lovely part of the world.

shortstuff
17-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Sorry but im on the south coast x

littletreasures
17-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Just an idea to gauge people looking for childcare. Go on to childcare.co.uk and type in a postcode near where you are looking to move. You can see how many people are looking for childcare within that area.

I go on the website regularly to see people looking for childcare. I counted 9 pages of parents looking for childcare had logged on in one day within 5 miles from my postcode one day. I then typed in a postcode near Cockermouth and no one had logged on for a month so parents seeking childcare is scarce.

Good luck.

Rubybubbles
17-06-2014, 10:59 AM
One area I have not been too!!

Sorry

loocyloo
17-06-2014, 11:39 AM
Just an idea to gauge people looking for childcare. Go on to childcare.co.uk and type in a postcode near where you are looking to move. You can see how many people are looking for childcare within that area.

I go on the website regularly to see people looking for childcare. I counted 9 pages of parents looking for childcare had logged on in one day within 5 miles from my postcode one day. I then typed in a postcode near Cockermouth and no one had logged on for a month so parents seeking childcare is scarce.

Good luck.

People rarely use childcare.co.uk in my area ... or if they do ... Don't register and then find contact details elsewhere! We are rural ... similar to Cumbria and so naturally there are less people, so less people looking for care.

Jenjen2014
17-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Hi, I'm from Carlisle! We are hoping to set up childminding soon as I have just bought a new house!

Jen x

Kiddleywinks
18-06-2014, 08:38 AM
It won't be for a while yet, don't want to disrupt DS's education with a change of area/school as I think he would struggle at his age with such a major change - autistic spectrum, although low end.

I have been checking out CC and the areas I've looked at haven't got anyone listed, although I'm aware that doesn't mean there aren't any - there are primary schools nearby

I might give the FIS a call though, that may help me narrow down my search

It's such a major decision, and at my age, a little scary lol, but I'm up for the challenge, and the people are so friendly and happy, you can't help but be absorbed by the atmosphere.
Being the only breadwinner though means I have to be certain I can get back to work fairly quickly and starting all over again from scratch scares the pants off me :laughing:

Hi, I'm from Carlisle! We are hoping to set up childminding soon as I have just bought a new house!

Jen x

:waving: Hello Jen, from Carlisle :waving:
You'll have to let me know how you get on :laughing:
Are you actually in Carlisle itself or in one of the villages? Are you from Cumbria or moving there from elsewhere?
I may very well end up pecking your head for info :D

Jenjen2014
18-06-2014, 09:51 AM
It won't be for a while yet, don't want to disrupt DS's education with a change of area/school as I think he would struggle at his age with such a major change - autistic spectrum, although low end. I have been checking out CC and the areas I've looked at haven't got anyone listed, although I'm aware that doesn't mean there aren't any - there are primary schools nearby I might give the FIS a call though, that may help me narrow down my search It's such a major decision, and at my age, a little scary lol, but I'm up for the challenge, and the people are so friendly and happy, you can't help but be absorbed by the atmosphere. Being the only breadwinner though means I have to be certain I can get back to work fairly quickly and starting all over again from scratch scares the pants off me :laughing: :waving: Hello Jen, from Carlisle :waving: You'll have to let me know how you get on :laughing: Are you actually in Carlisle itself or in one of the villages? Are you from Cumbria or moving there from elsewhere? I may very well end up pecking your head for info :D

Yes we are from Carlisle and just moving down the road! Any questions about the area just ask!

Xx